Outdrive interchangability??

Cummins1

Cadet
If i have a 1979 baja with a 95 5.7L in it i believe it has the orignal mc-1 outdrive on it since theres nothing telling me otherwise. My question is can i swap just the outdrive out from the MC-1 to a newer Alpha1? Like is the bolt pattern the same? The 6 bolts that hold to the transom plate the same pattern? Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Outdrive interchangability??

An Alpha will fit but an Alpha Gen II or Bravo will not.

Cummins1

Cadet

The outdrive i want to put on it says Alpha1. Is there alpha1 genII or alpha1 bravo?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The Alpha 1 is interchangeable.

The Alpha 1 Gen II is NOT interchangeable.

The Bravo is NOT interchangeable.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cummins,

There are slight physical differences between an Alpha 1 and an A1 Generation 2. If you cannot differentiate between them by simply looking, you must use the serial numbers of any prospective units to make sure you are indeed getting an Alpha 1.

Cummins1

Cadet

What are the physical differences i could possibly see?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I find it quite easy to see the physical differences....mainly in the location of the trim cylinder mounts, among the other notable differences well explained (i.e. "shown") in the link the above post. I find it fun on the road to pick them out.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

gen II has the exposed bolts/nuts attaching the lower to the upper
as well as the position of the trim cylinder rod bore as mentioned

I agree!! :D

Wish there was a way of enlarging those avatar pics to get a better look at them.

MC-1 and Alpha One will interchange, Uppers for Uppers, lowers for lowers, and whole drive for whole drives, except the yokes on older MC's are shorter than the Alpha's... be aware, if so use the MC yoke on the Alpha.

Internals from the MC's Will Not work in the Alpha Ones and vise versa, except the water pump which is the same except for the water pump base. (very important to get the correct one)

see link for differences:
http://www.mercstuff.com/drive_id.htm

achris

More fish than mountain goat

One of Don's posts has a picture of the 2 drives (Alpha One and Alpha One Gen II) side by side, and highlighting the differences... I did a search but I don't know enough about the thread to track it... Maybe, if we're vewy vewy quiet, he'll come along and post it here... :D:D:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look up in the Adults only sticky under the Mercruiser stuff. You'll find this picture.

attachment.php

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Eric ...........FYI you can enlarge the whole page to see the avatar better with control button and + sign. each click of + sign makes bigger. return to normal size with control and - sign........

Cummins1

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. Glad i didnt spend the money it was a gen II