Shifting issues: 1993 Evinrude 40 hp model TE40ELETB

codeman0582

Recruit
Took boat out today. She fired right up but when shifting into forward she would only rev and not move forward. Same thing happens when I shift into reverse. Stays started, will rev up fine, but will not proceed forward or backward. Took boat out of water. Did not start her up but shifted the shifter forward and watched shifting rods. The shifting rod on top moves but the one on bottom does not. Same thing when I put it into reverse. Prop will not turn either. Please help! I have been working to figure this out for a while. No money to take to a repair guy so any information is greatly appreciated. Also I do not have a repair guide or manual.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Shifting issues: 1993 Evinrude 40 hp model TE40ELETB

Loosen the screws holding the gearcase to the leg and carefully drop it about 1/2", just enough to be able to monitor if the vertical rod down to the gearcase is moving or not.
If that is moving, drop the gearcase completely (unhook the rod on top first) and dismantle. Here a parts diagram:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...40EETB&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase

Rick.

Captain
Re: Shifting issues: 1993 Evinrude 40 hp model TE40ELETB

You may /may not know but to disconnect the shift rod (if you have to) the link is just under the bottom carb. Best of luck. Rick.