changed module and now ESA doesnt work

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
okay, I have a boat with a LOT of demons I have removed, but every time I slay one, and have a good day there is another demon. I had a mallory points which some bastard converted badly, which I removed and replaced with an EST-read my posts I thought it was the fuel so I went the long way. After installing the EST had a module which went bad after the first outing (as diagnosed by the shop that sold me the setup, and then told me that there was no warranty on a 1-day old part and a new module was 155 bucks). SO I went to autozone and bought an accel module for 60 bucks and it indeed, it was the ignition module that was bad, but now the ESA workaround doesnt work. It ran great! Aside from the advance being different (less advance) with the shunt cut, when the black is connected to +12v it kills spark-NONE so the engine just dies. I bought a sierra marine module and figured that is was a marine vs auto so I installed that and now I got the ignition advance curve back but still have the problem where +12v supplied to the black wire = no more spark. The nice thing is that I have a brand new starter and my boat starts real spiffy-like so when I go to pick up the tubers I kill the engine and coast over-safer than having a boat that wont get out of drive-but it gets frustrating. Any advice as to what part number=a TRUE OMC marine module which has the "retard-to-0-degrees-when +12v is-supplied-to-the-black-wire"? so I can have a complete drama-free,pain free boating day? Oh, and I have my idle down to 450 and it still wont disengage the dog w/out esa.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
Re: changed module and now ESA doesnt work

Bruce,
should have explained better-yes, wired direct-just like the diagram/threw away ESA, but spark control module in dist went bad and now it just kills the motor since ive changed the module

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The title of your thread says your ESA doesn't work! No wonder it doesn't work since you threw it away!

Your shift switch is probably getting actuated when it shouldn't. Lower shift cable is binding or you don't have the lower cable adjusted properly.

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

replaced shift cable. switch actuator sits in the actuator valley after prop engagement. shift cable adjusted correctly, by the momentary close of the switch turns off the spark and at idle it kills the motor. this all worked correctly before i changed the ignition module now i have a sierra ign mod where before i had a ??? mod, but having converted this ignition, i cant just go to westmarine and say "i need the correct ign mod for a 1989 bayliner" they will look in the book and hand me a set of points. I need to know what ign mod for a est will allow the circuit in the wiring pictures work? I do know that a sierra 18-5107-1 is NOT the answer-it behaves similarly to an automotive one. sorry for the confusion with regard to the title. my ESA is now the merc ver and merc, i guess doesnt call it ESA, maybe they call "it switch hot wired to the dizzy" but it accomplishes the same thing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You rewired the switch so it supplies 12V to the distributor right?

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

yes +12v to the dizzy when switch is closed-kills the engine immediately-no spark, I checked for spark using a timing light then using a spark checking plug thing. I then changed the module from the accel aftermarket automotive to a sierra 18-5107-1 and got the same result with both. It runs fine, even, and strong until the switch is tripped then it dies.