1971 50 HP Johnson - WOT Slow and smoke

bprz09

Cadet
I did a lot of searching for similar problems and i can't seem to find anything relevant to what is going on with my motor. First off I just replaced:

- water pumper
- thermostat
- poppet
- lower gear case oil

So i took the boat out for the first time on the lake today, it ran great at idle and about 1/4 throttle. Once i tried to increase speed to about 1/2-full throttle the boat went somewhat faster but still not up to par. The first day i ran it, I did a bad mix of gas with to much oil, it seemed to run a little fast and then i finally put in 1 quart oil to 1 gallon. It ran fine at the speed it was traveling but won't go fast. I still haven't clean the carbs because it's sat for a couple of years but anyone else have his problem? Could this be a compression problem?(going to check compression) and if they sell a carb rebuild kit with all the gaskets,jets, floats, ect.?

Thank you for any help, very appreciated!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1971 50 HP Johnson - WOT Slow and smoke

You put in a quart of oil per gallon!!!!!!!!!!
Way to much oil, you should use a pint (16oz, 1/2 quart) for 6 gallons. Get rid of that gas and mix up the correct mixture and see if it runs any better. You might want to flush the fuel system to clean out the carbs.

bprz09

Cadet
Re: 1971 50 HP Johnson - WOT Slow and smoke

You put in a quart of oil per gallon!!!!!!!!!!
Way to much oil, you should use a pint (16oz, 1/2 quart) for 6 gallons. Get rid of that gas and mix up the correct mixture and see if it runs any better. You might want to flush the fuel system to clean out the carbs.

Sorry, I didn't notice I wrote it that way! I put a quart of oil for a whole 6 gallon tank.