Neighbor's Mercrusier Issue

hostage

Lieutenant
My neighbor had his mid 70's boat w/ a Mercrusier the other day. He had some over heating issue, his mechanic said it could be the thermostat or impeller. He ended up doing it himself as his mechanic couldn't look at it for weeks. He pulled out his impeller the picture below was what was left of it. He put the new one in there, put the lower unit back on and started the engine. Everything seemed to go well, until he gave it some throttle then the engine died. He also changed the thermostat, though from what it sounds like he might have done something to his lower unit as it only happens when he puts it in gear. He also mentioned that it was a little difficult to put the lower unit back on. Any ideas, I didn't get much info on his boat other than it has an inline 4 that requires only one plug to winterize it. The lower unit is a mercusier that says "Mecrusier HP 120/140".

I can attempt to get more info if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

impeller.JPG

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Neighbor's Mercrusier Issue

My neighbor had his mid 70's boat w/ a Mercrusier the other day. He had some over heating issue, his mechanic said it could be the thermostat or impeller. He ended up doing it himself as his mechanic couldn't look at it for weeks. He pulled out his impeller the picture below was what was left of it. He put the new one in there, put the lower unit back on and started the engine. Everything seemed to go well, until he gave it some throttle then the engine died. He also changed the thermostat, though from what it sounds like he might have done something to his lower unit as it only happens when he puts it in gear. He also mentioned that it was a little difficult to put the lower unit back on. Any ideas, I didn't get much info on his boat other than it has an inline 4 that requires only one plug to winterize it. The lower unit is a mercusier that says "Mecrusier HP 120/140".

I can attempt to get more info if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

View attachment 157124

If the motor dies when you shift into gear it could be that the lower shift cable needs replacing.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Neighbor's Mercrusier Issue

do a search on here Changing an impeller. It will tell him about finding the old blades and timing the shifter when putting the gearcase back on.