suzuki df50

JPMik

Cadet
Bought the boat about 2 months ago, Having trouble getting up on plane. The guy I bought it from said he had the ecm replaced because of the same problem. He told me he went to hook up a 24 volt trolling motor & crossed the wires. When I put it in full throtle I am only getting 4100 rpm's. The manual says with the correct prop I should be getting around 5900-6500. Do you think it's maybe the wrong prop for the motor? I could get it up on plane with 2 people on board but with 5 or 6 on board it seems really struggling to get top speed. Any input would really be appreciated. The motor is a Suzuki DF50 on a 17 dlx Carolina skiff.
Mick

Chillmark

Recruit
Re: suzuki df50

Are you getting about 6k with only you on board?

Not getting up on a plane with a boatload of people in a C-skiff doesn't seem like it's that out of the ordinary, especially with only a 50 on back

That being said it certainly could be the wrong prop, especially if you are only get 4k with you alone on board.

JPMik

Cadet

Never checked with just me on board. Might add that the trim adjustment seems really touchy. In other words if I go to tilt the motor up I get a revving sound like the motor is coming up to far. If that makes sense. I will try to get it out with only me on board. thanks for the quick reply.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Never checked with just me on board. Might add that the trim adjustment seems really touchy. In other words if I go to tilt the motor up I get a revving sound like the motor is coming up to far. If that makes sense. I will try to get it out with only me on board. thanks for the quick reply.

Expecting a 50 horse to plane 5-6 people is asking alot, My 16' Lund (800# aluminum) boat really struggled with 4 people when had a 50hp on the back (had to empty the live well and move people around), with the Johnson 70 4 stroke (suzuki DF70) it would take some work to get 5 people and a full live well up on plane. Sounds like you may need to drop the motor one set of mounting holes also.