check valve leaking oil???? or is it my shift shaft seal?? Please help

hammerjw

Cadet
Hello all,

I noticed a blue/green oil on my garage floor a few weeks back and started looking into there the problem was coming from. After much research online and talking to the guys at a local marine shop I decided to take the job on my self.

No to the story, I removed the stern dive from my boat. Then I ordered a shift shaft seal. Now today I was looking at the upper and noticed the blue green oil coming out of the check valve. This got me to thinking.... could the check valve be leaking and not the shift shaft seal? I noticed the oil on my garage floor and it looked like it was leaking from the shaft... but after looking at the shaft it's self, it doesn't look like oil was leaking from the shaft.

question is.. .Is there a chance the check valve could be leaking and not the shift shaft seal? I don't want to pull the upper apart if it's just the check valve leaking..... I've attached a photo of the check valve (upper left of the photo) If I'm wrong about what it's called please let me know.

Any thoughts would be great!

Attachments

• check valve.jpg
    check valve.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
Re: check valve leaking oil???? or is it my shift shaft seal?? Please help

What are we working on? :confused:

year?

kind of drive?

powerplant it's bolted to?

welcome aboard... :D

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should have pressure tested the drive before you took it off.The seal you are showing is for the oil monitor system and the drive must be in place for it to seal.This area is NOT prone to leaking and I would suspected the shift shaft seal.You can still pressure test the drive off of the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a chance the check valve could be leaking and not the shift shaft seal?

Ayuh,.... I'd say, No, at 100 to 1 odds...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drain all the gear lube out of it and pressure test the drive. That's how you find leaks.
When you say you replace the shift shaft seals, it that in the drive or the bellhousing? If the drive and you are talking about the seals in the plastic shift shaft bushing, If it was leaking before and why you replaced the seals, then you need to replace the complete bushing assembly. Those things leak from wear, and seals don't fix them usually.

DSCN0341.JPG

hammerjw

Cadet

Ok, I'm a NOOB..... engine info would help.... 4.3L merc. Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive.

Hello all,

I noticed a blue/green oil on my garage floor a few weeks back and started looking into there the problem was coming from. After much research online and talking to the guys at a local marine shop I decided to take the job on my self.

No to the story, I removed the stern dive from my boat. Then I ordered a shift shaft seal. Now today I was looking at the upper and noticed the blue green oil coming out of the check valve. This got me to thinking.... could the check valve be leaking and not the shift shaft seal? I noticed the oil on my garage floor and it looked like it was leaking from the shaft... but after looking at the shaft it's self, it doesn't look like oil was leaking from the shaft.

question is.. .Is there a chance the check valve could be leaking and not the shift shaft seal? I don't want to pull the upper apart if it's just the check valve leaking..... I've attached a photo of the check valve (upper left of the photo) If I'm wrong about what it's called please let me know.

Any thoughts would be great!

hammerjw

Cadet

Also it's leaking from the upper not the lower.

And what exact parts do I need to purchase to make my own pressure tester? I get the foot pump with guage, I'm wondering about the piece that screws into the outdrive.

Ok, I'm a NOOB..... engine info would help.... 4.3L merc. Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look up in the stickies (First theads on this forum) you know, those things stuck to the top of the forum that everyone should read but never do.