Black GOO dripping out exhaust????

parrisw

Ensign
Now my engine has always done this, and I think it may be due to the oil I'm using??? I'm using the BRP XD30, after running it at the lake I tow it home, park it in the garage, and a little while later there is black goo/sludge dripping out from in front of the prop????? Now I assume its coming out of the exhaust, maybe a build up from unburned fuel/oil?? Anyone else experience this?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Black GOO dripping out exhaust????

Unburnt fuel/oil mix as you stated. Completely normal. The XD series of oils is actually quality oil, nothing wrong with it at all.

A decarb may help clean things up a bit.

parrisw

Ensign

Unburnt fuel/oil mix as you stated. Completely normal. The XD series of oils is actually quality oil, nothing wrong with it at all.

A decarb may help clean things up a bit.

Ya, I got a heavy dose of seafoam in my gas right now.

Thanks! The XD 30 seems to be the cheapest oil I can buy too, and the guy at the marine place recommended it for my engine, its a 1984 Johnson 115.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The XD oil along with the seafoam may be flushing out alot of the sludge. I like to drop the gearcase afterwards and clean out the passage, it is usually loaded with crud. When clean they do not drip as much/often.

parrisw

Ensign

The XD oil along with the seafoam may be flushing out alot of the sludge. I like to drop the gearcase afterwards and clean out the passage, it is usually loaded with crud. When clean they do not drip as much/often.

Thanks! I'm not going to drop the gear case at this time. The goo is minimal, so I'm not worried about the mess, I just wanted to know I'm safe and going to use the boat. Kids are dying to go tubing!!!! So am I!!