ladder question

jonathwill

Cadet
Hey I got a 1988 celebrity open bow that has a one step ladder that feels like Im wrapping my leg behind my head everytime I try to get in the boat. Can I replace the existing ladder by just getting another to bolt into boat? Is there some kind of plate under the fiberglass where the ladder is mounted or what? And could I even mount it and the other side of the rear of boat? Im looking at a possible 2 or3 step ladder.
Thanks

ziggy

Admiral
Re: ladder question

i really don't know the answer. but i can't help but think a ladder would have some kinda back plate for it's bolt mounting point. they take a pretty large load when yer climbing them. can you look to see if it's got a back plate? if ya do mount a ladder in another spot. i'd think use a back plate.

fwiw. i don't use a ladder to get back in my boat. i'm a drive climber. works good and it's always there. albeit a little on the dangerous side for cutting your foot. i would assume i've slipped and hurt myself, but can't remember doing that as i been drive climbing since i was a kid in the 70's.. all i know is climbing the drive works well for me (practice makes perfect)... if i do need a ladder. i use a hang over the gunnel type.

probably not the answer ya were looking for. just food for thought.

bgc

Ensign

Post a photo of the stern/ladder

r.j.dawg

Ensign

^+1. Need a pic. Up here in Ontario you have to have a re-boarding device if your freeboard is greater than 20 inches. You obviously have an existing ladder, just get a longer one from here or your local marine supply. There's tons of them out there. I would suggest a stainless backing plate on the inside when bolting it on. Can never be too careful. :D

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also have a one-step ladder on the back of mine. Makes getting back in after being tired from skiing or tubing very difficult. I decided to buy a collapsable hook type ladder that hangs over the side of the boat. Makes getting in/out much easier.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have replaced 3 ladders on various boats and have yet to find one that was backed with anything more than a fender washer, a split washer, and then a nyloc nut.

Your best bet is to find a replacement ladder with the smae mounting pattern as the original, but with additional rungs. Take a look (or probably just a feel) at the current one and see what's there. My Carver has a 3-rung collapsing ladder that the manual says has a 600 lb capacity. It's backed with the washers as listed above and (4) 1/4" x 20 SS bolts.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I took my ladder on and off for paint. It's bolted through the fiberglass hull, through blocks of wood to help distribute the weight, then washers and nuts.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can buy an extra step that will bolt on giving you a "two step" ladder. Two Step is very popular in Texas....