NOOB boat owner!!! Whats wrong with the motor.

colding

Seaman
Re: NOOB boat owner!!! Whats wrong with the motor.

It's likely overheating. I didn't see any water coming out of the tell-tale. I would not run it again until you replace the impeller at the least.

Lobes400

Cadet

how do i go about doing that?

colding

Seaman

You did not specify the year/model of your motor, but usually it requires removing your lower unit and removing the old impeller from the shaft. Since it ran hot for so long, it's likely you damaged the housing of the water pump as well. I would also do a compression check to make sure there's no damage to your cylinders.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

it the video i just watched the tell tale was peeing fine, still should change it if its been sitting that long

colding

Seaman

Yes, you are right! I couldn't see it until I made it full screen. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to replace it. And I would still definitely do the compression check since this motor is new to you.

Lobes400

Cadet

Its an 89 Evinrude 60 HP i was planning on changing the impeller.....but kinda hesitent, i Dont have a lot of knowledge on 2 stroke engines let alone outboard engines. The main thing im worried about is the engine will what i think is miss fire and will drop RPM and there is an alarm sounding....i do believe you can hear it in the video. Thanks again for all the advice.

Lobes400

Cadet

I have also disconnected the VRO and I'm mixing the gas. Is it ok to remove the oil hose going to the engine housing, and the oil tank?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

check the thermostat it may be stuck

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also disconnected the VRO and I'm mixing the gas. Is it ok to remove the oil hose going to the engine housing, and the oil tank?

Why have you disconnected the VRO?
Mike is an 88 50hp and I would never thiink of removing it.

Lobes400

Cadet

What would cause the engine to miss and drop RPM like that?

mark1961

Ensign

Why have you disconnected the VRO?
Mike is an 88 50hp and I would never thiink of removing it.

Probably because premixing is a sensible move on a motor this old.....its like putting out the fire before it starts.

Lobes400

Cadet

Thanks for all the help so far......but im still having problems with it skipping, sputtering, miss firing.....what ever you want to call it. I'm at a loss. I am completely new to 2-stroke engines, and outboards.... i have decent knowledge on car engines.

nick4203

Seaman Apprentice

mabe one of the floats in the carb?

Lobes400

Cadet

When putting Carbs back on after clean and rebuild all 3 floats were moving fine. The engine runs great around 1500 RPM but around 2500 RPM it pops and drops to 2000 RPM.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know it's hard to tell from a recorded video on YouTube, but that engine doesn't sound right to me even at lower RPMs. Sounds like it may only be firing on two cylinders much of the time. Have you checked for good spark on all three cylinders? It may be a PowerPak/ignition problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with 1kruzer1. I think she is down a cylinder.

First, a compression test. Let us know the results.

Next, try disabling each cylinder in turn (pull plug wires with insulated pliers) and note the effect on rpm. If rpm does not drop that cylinder is dead. Let us know those results, too.

Lobes400

Cadet

Ok tested compression with a loaner from autozone.....got 40 psi on all 3 cyl. Then noticed a hole in the tester line. Took it back got another one....on the new one all 3 cyl tested 120 psi.

I guess i'm moving onto ignition now.