78 35 hp johnson - how to get lower unit off?

bharle

Cadet
I have a 78 35 HP johnson (35EL78R) It has set for many years without use, working to get it cleaned up and going. Went to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller, can't see how to get it loose. I worked on an 85 HP motor some time ago and there was a bolt to remove on the shift lever, but I don't see that on this motor. I was told it may be a splined shaft and would just drop out - that didn't happen. I looked at a schematic and it appears to show a bolt at the top of the ship lever but doesn't show me where/how to get at it. any tips you could provide would be appreciated.

regards,
bruce

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 35 hp johnson - how to get lower unit off?

Remove water intake screen. Disconnect upper shift rod from lower shift rod. Remove tapered plastic retainer to have retainer nut drop off top shift rod. Observe which way that plastic retainer faces!

bharle

Cadet

Thanks a lot - it is appreciated. plastic retainer sounds tricky. will let you know how it goes.
bruce

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Plastic retainer isn't tricky, but it could be put on upside down. If so, you simply couldn't connect the two rods together and you would realize your error immediately. The retainer has a split in it that allows it to be spread slightly in order to be removed off the shaft.