starter problems

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
my buddy is working on his 1971 johnson. He is having trouble getting the starter to engage when he turns the key. The solenoid is brand new, and the motor has a new "brain box". He says he can use jumper cables to make the starter turn over, but it wont activate like it should when he turns the key. We are thinking it is a problem in the key switch. Does this sound correct or are we missing something.

coopnigs

Cadet
Re: starter problems

sounds like he is missing something in trigger circuit. if he is able to jump starter then starter is probably fine. i would start with where trigger wire connects to starter and work your way backwards. it way have open in wire somewhere. if you dont find anything i would suspect ignition switch is problem

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clean and check your battery cable connections on both the battery and the mtr.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

so this might be a dumb question, but the solenoid has two large terminals and two small terminals, and yes it is the correct marine application solenoid. But on the small terminals one is grounded and the other has power, right? It shouldn't matter if those two wires are flip flopped, right? He put the new soenoid on and thought maybe he got those two wires mixed up since they are the same color, but I dont think it should matter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What boobie said. Hidden corrosion in cables or connections are most likely cause.

finish line 88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try running a jumper from the ground wire on the solenoid to the neg battery terminal on the engine block. Could be you have a bad ground. Also could be your neutral safety switch in your control box.

Last edited:

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

well i just had the "master Plug" on the wiring harness apart last night and everything looks bright and shiny in there. The connection points on the solenoid are brand new.........all wires feel tight. I guess I can try running the neutral jumper wire and see what I come up with. I may also monkey around with the neutral safety switch. thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why is it people refuse to do what you recommend, then argue that it is something else, even when it is free?

Take both battery cables off at both ends. Scrub them shiny and reconnect. The most likely place for hidden corrosion is where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block. That connection bolts a tin plated copper spade to an alloy block with a steel bolt and is a guaranteed corrosion factory. Bad connections often look good and feel tight.