noise coming from the out drive

jason33

Recruit
Hello everyone i posted a earlier post on a drive shaft making noise. I have a 2005 bayliner with a 3.0 mercruiser on it. after pulling off the outdrive i inspected the u-joints the look great and are not loose. I also changed the gimbal bearing why i was in there and had it aligned. From there i took it out on the water and when i first put the boat into gear you hear this grinding noise and what sounds like a exhaust leak. I stuck my head over the back and could hear a knocking noise. This sound gets louder at 2700 rpm and goes way while in neutral. I'am pulling out my hair chasing the noise so any suggestions would be helpful. I also checked the gear lube oil it looked fine.

74invader

Cadet
Re: noise coming from the out drive

Did you have any luck? I am experiencing something similar myself.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: noise coming from the out drive

Remove the upper cap on the drive,4 bolt's and pop it off,look at the Gear's they should look like gears and not chipped ar scarred up. Also check the oil condition,should be nice and clean,not milky,or black. That's the place to start! The uppers usually go first due to low oil,Or a leak. If that's the problem you need an upper and possibly a lower?
Grub