Sea Ray ski hatch drain blockage

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
2002 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck that has water at times in the ski hatch after I wash the boat that does not drain. I have tried to use a fish tape and water pressure through the access hole right over the tube to clear it with no success. When the motor was out the mecanic could not see anything from the engine compartment. I think the gas tank is blocking the view. Anyone have experience with this? I am thinking of maybe using suction at the end of season to see what happens. Thank you, RR

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea Ray ski hatch drain blockage

On my Starcraft that I had the same thing happened. I hooked the boat to the truck and parked it on the edge of the ditch with the propeller pointed into the ditch. I ran the hose to it and used a fish tape to carefully poke in the hole. I also used an air compressor and blew air down the hole at the same time. I also had the vaccum sucking on the other end. It finally cleared the blockage but it took several attempts. By the time I was done I found everything from old food, thats what it looked like, gum wrappers, screws and just junk. The prior owner was not very careful what went down the hole.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rich, Is the drain actually plumbed to the bilge? It may or may not be. I was working on my front fish box drain today, on my SeaSwirl. I figured out that it was not plumbed to anything. I think the fish box drained into the hull, and no one cut the foam out of the way to allow it to drain to the sluiceway that runs to the bilge. The only way to drain it was to trim the motor up and accelerate the bow sky high. You may have a similar issue.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is I cannot find where drain runs to and am hoping someome can tell me for sure on this specific boat. Thank you, RR

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if its anything like my '02 Sea Ray was, it simply runs back in the bilge area under the fuel tank. there should be an access cover screwed down over the fuel tank. you should be able to take a look.

have you tried a shop vac over the hole from the ski locker side?