DNS Changer Malware bot question

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I was wondering if there was anyone here that does I.T. that can answer a few questions for me please.

This whole FBI Server shutdown is kinda strange at the last moment.

Question..If I purchased a Windows machine after 2007 does that mean I cannot and will not be affected by this malware ? I mean .. they shut the thing down back then right ?

Would you ( Did you ) check for the Correct DNS Via the Links provided by many web sites or did you manually check them yourself in your settings.

I heard MACs CAN be affected if they were on a network that had windows OS system .. True ?

I have also read the suggestion of checking all internet connected devices ( Phones,Xbox,Wii etc. ) for this bot. Do I really need to do that ?

Cant I just call up my ISP do deal with this if I get shut off from the internet suddenly 7/9/12 ? They should have some kind of responsibility in there billing for the past few years telling me that I could be subject to connection loss at some point ?

Just wondering ..

Thanks for any responses.

YD.

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: DNS Changer Malware bot question

Why not just check your compu ??. Either you are infected or your not !!. :)

http://dns-ok.us/

Its a easy fix if you are infected.

I'm clean.. :)

View attachment 156972

DNS Resolution = GREEN

Your computer appears to be looking up IP addresses correctly!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved to non-Boating tech. Seemed better here.

JRJ

Commander

Thank you Summer Fun....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Unless you are running an old Windows 98 system, likely never have a problem.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm curious why this hasn't been taken care of by all of the Antivirus software manufacturers. They have had a year to incorporate detection/fix.

The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wander what http://dns-ok.us/ is really doing.

Sea ya.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'm curious why this hasn't been taken care of by all of the Antivirus software manufacturers. They have had a year to incorporate detection/fix.

The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wander what http://dns-ok.us/ is really doing.

Sea ya.
Last year the FBI arrested the Estonian group responsible for the DNS Changer and took over their servers. Since that time the FBI has been running the servers redirecting everthing to way its supposed to be directed and now they are turning the server off. They should have turned off the darn thing a year ago but they didn't.

If you have proper anti malware software, you shouldn't have a problem.

The dns-ok.us site basically looks to see if you would be redirected by this server that is getting turned off.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Last year the FBI arrested the Estonian group responsible for the DNS Changer and took over their servers. Since that time the FBI has been running the servers redirecting everthing to way its supposed to be directed and now they are turning the server off. They should have turned off the darn thing a year ago but they didn't.

If you have proper anti malware software, you shouldn't have a problem.

The dns-ok.us site basically looks to see if you would be redirected by this server that is getting turned off.

Thanks bruce. I was aware of the background story. Actually, I was just being a bit sarcastic as it could be a great opportunity for a little hanky-panky. They made a movie (don't remember the name) where the biggest security software supplier suddenly took over everyone's computer once their software was widespread. Just thinking...

Sea ya...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OK...was just answering your question:
The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wander what http://www.dns-ok.us is really doing.
I also fixed the link in the quote.

Bad guys around the world are getting ingenius. There are a whole bunch of domains that have popped up in the last week that have variations of the dns-ok in them to catch people that mis type.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Welp nothing happend so .. *shruggs*.

I wasnt gonna do anything anyways. I still dont know why I never got any notification from my ISP with my monthly bill.

Thanks guys

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I still dont know why I never got any notification from my ISP with my monthly bill.
As usual, it was media hype that fueled the scare which wasn't a scare in the first place.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sea ya.

I thought the same thing and mentioned it to my wife. She just rolled her eyes at me. Women......

I totally forgot about this issue(?) until I just saw this thread again.....

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought the same thing and mentioned it to my wife. She just rolled her eyes at me. Women......

I totally forgot about this issue(?) until I just saw this thread again.....

I had a further thought today. Since the FBI has been operating the servers for a year, they have every IP address that has been dependent upon the servers. They shouldn't have to depend on someone seeing their broadcast. But I guess it would be expensive to send a couple of men in black out to notify you. Not to mention the number of heart attacks seeing the FBI show up at you door. lol

wimusky, love the eagle, man.

Sea ya...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thats a good point there Cap..

For a year they have been propping up the changer server to make sure the DNS goes to the Right address right ?

Were they just 'operating' the server and the incoming IP's .. or were they keeping tabs on them for a bit ?

Were did the malware come from ? Filesharing sites etc .. ?

I mean very few computers affected in the grand scale of things.. hmm..

Hanky panky I say.. :D .

YD.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I mean very few computers affected in the grand scale of things.. hmm..
Because anyone that has a recent OS with security updates wasn't going to have a problem. Only older non supported OS like Win98 were going to be affected.

This is why you always update your anti virus and apply your Windows updates.