Mid July - Passing Hell Gate + Long Island Sound Must Do's

Jorgecornet

Recruit
Looking for opinions and suggestions on how to handle my trip and make it as pleasant with my girlfriend who is not as adventurous as I am.

For starters since I will be leaving in the next two weeks in the blasting July heat?to deal with this I just purchased a bimini top in order to ease off the sun?s beat down. We plan to stop at various marina?s in order to shower, and occasionally have a real meal/ liquor/ and sleep at night. No moorings..

We will be leaving Staten island, then going up the east river, thru hell gate and then sail/motor around long island, with a possible stop at block island. the goal of course is to sail as much as possible. This is all to be completed within 7/8 days in my 1984 Cherubini hunter 27 with a 10HP Westerbeke.

Last year, on my 1980 24ft C&C (outfitted with an 9.9 outboard), I tried to pass hell gate and basically maintained the same spot for 15minutes before turning around due to the enormous force of the current.

This year with the new boat I plan to do bigger and better things, I am livid and open minded dreamer, and want to experience and see things that will create memories on the ?voyage??I purchased a north eastern crusing guide..but..ehhhh?it wasn?t that exciting but It will keep me informed in case of an emergency?I wanted to know if there are amazing bars/ restaurants that I can pull into eat really well and party hard then go to sleep near there?
And I would like to know your personal ?must see or do?s of long island sound?? I did want to see the red lighthouse by new London CT. but would like to know if there are other suggestions?