proper anchor techniques please!!!

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the 86 bayliner capri cuddy out for the 4th time today. got the exhaust leak smothering the engine at idle thing fixed and it ran great. went down the river about a mile and decided to stop for lunch and fishing. How do you anchor a boat so it doesnt spin? Should I be using 2 anchors? I only have one that came with the boat. Also how shallow can i go with this boat? The depth finder said 3 feet and i was getting nervous. I think im just parinoid but i dont wanna get stuck with the wife and kids. this is our first boat and im stressing out about everything. its almost not fun. Thanks. Chris

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: proper anchor techniques please!!!

Chris,<br /><br />First off welcome to the best boating forum I know of. I have grown in my knowledge and confidence of all aspects of boating by following the posts and input of the many fine members who frequent here.<br /><br />Anchoring: An art form. I am little confused what you mean by spinning. But with that in mind I will share my feelings on what you should have as a minimum. I carry two anchors, my brother carries three. I would have an anchor consistant with the environment that you find in your area. Most often the danforth. Each anchor should have a length of chain to ensure proper weight to obtain a positive hold.<br /><br />I have a 25ft boat and I have about 4-5 feet of vinyl coated chain on my primary anchor with 150 ft of 3/8th inch tri-strand anchor line. My primary is a 14lb danforth and my secondary is a 9lb with a three foot chain and 100ft of line. ( I also have (2) 30ft lengths of line for beach use, in the anchor locker. This makes the line easier to use and dry! I use these 10 times to each time I use the full length lines.) Depending on conditions sometimes you can use something as simple as a sea-anchor (5 gal bucket works) to stabilize the drifting, and causing slippage. I would invest in a second anchor. <br /><br />I would also invest in a set of charts for the area which you boat. 3ft is very shallow. You can probably operate at three feet but you are right there. In addition, how comfortable are you with the accuracy of your depth finder? Just because it reads three feet doesn't mean it is. Check it at the beach or in shallow water to ensure accuracy. Try and identify areas where you can operate with confidence and by getting charts you can figure out where these areas are in advance. <br /><br />In closing you most likely will at some point, strike bottom, or get stranded. It happens to almost everyone. Thats ok. Just be prepared. File a float plan with friends or family, have a VHF radio, carry a small orange flag for hailing assistance, make sure all other equipment is up to par. (horn, flares, anchors, have whistle on board, extra prop, tools, flashlights etc.) We all have and will go through it and it is more a case of how you handle the situation than the situation itself. Most people are willing to help a stranded boater. (Shame on the those who don't) But most of all being prepared will give you the peace of mind to not worry about the worst and enjoy all that boating has to offer.<br /><br />Good luck and keep posting. ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

Good post Pointer<br /><br />Welcome to IBOATS Chris<br />Something else that will relieve a lot of stress to a new boating family would be for you and your wife to take a boating safety course given by the coast gaurd aux in your area. Sounds boring but its really a lot of fun. You will not only learn a lot from the people teaching it, but will be there with boaters from your area and will pick up extra tips.<br /><br />Link

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Formula1974, I too say get a second anchor. As for 3 ft of water, do you have a power trim adjustment? 3 feet of water makes me big time nervous too. I slow down to a fast troll and trim my motor as high as I can in that depth...especially if it's a rocky bottom.<br /><br />I also have a kicker motor in case of emergency.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Formula1974,<br /><br />Anchor without spinning, Is the cureent spinning you, the wind or both? If the current and wind are going in oppiste directions, then you are going to spin some, relax, if the anchor is in good and you are swinging, you should be fine.<br /><br />To anchor, start with a good anchor, that will hold your boat, go to a local marine store they will help you pick the right one, add chain to the anchor, how much depends on your boat, I have a 25' pontoon and I used 10 feet of chain. Then your anchor line. When you set the anchor do not just throw the whole thing over board. Let the anchor down so the anchor hits then the chain. When you do this you should be at in gear at a idle just holding your position, facing into the current or wind. When you have enough line out, go into neutral and drift back, letting the anchor dig into the bottom. Whent the anchor sets, let out enough line that you have about 7 times the line as depth including from the boat to the water. IE water 7 feet, 3 feet from boat to water = 10, you want 70 feet of anchor line.<br /><br />As far as running in 3 feet of water, is that 3 feet below the boat, or 3 feet including the boat? Where is the transducer for the depth finder? And how much water does your boat draw. I run in 2 feet of water, but in an area that I know!!! 3 feet in a new area, and you could find a rock or tree sticking up real soon. Just go slow, in new water!<br /><br />Most of all relax have fun that is what it is all about.<br /><br />Jollymon

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

my dad has a 14 ft john boat that i have been on the river with several times but that almost rides the top of the water and its so light that you can drop anything over the side to hold it in place. There is a channel down the whole river that i try to stay in when crusing but i pulled to the side to try and tie off and the depth finder started going shallow. I will look into getting a second anchor. I was in the mindset that I could pull over to a tree and tie off and then realized how shallow we got. One more thing will a depth finder lose its way when at speed? I seem to remember the john boats depth finder working all the time. This one will say 200 or so feet anytime we are crusing. One other thing that made me nervous is the other boaters. at least 5 went by and didnt slow down in the least. I thought this was what you are supposed to do when passing someone anchored?? They would wave as they blew past but didnt slow down at all. Thanks for all your replys. Chris

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Chris,<br /><br />Couple of quick answers.<br /><br />1. Each depth finder is unique. Making them work right is a function of proper aleignment of the transducer on the stern with respects to the angle of installation and the relationship to the bottom of the boat. If in question go to the hummingbird or eagle web site and download any manual. They will show you the proper mounting config. They all use airmar transducers. (mostly) And yes, speed increases turbulance over the transducer and can give eroneous readings.<br /><br />Boat's operating in a channel are not obligated to slow down. If it is a designated anchorage they are, but not for every anchored boat along the river. Anchoring on the shore is another thing that will help. Run anchor line from the stern cleats on a 45 degree or greater angle to the shore and push the anchor in by hand into the bank. Do this on both sides (2 anchors) then run a line from the bow to a tree or something. Your boat won't move... :) <br /><br />Cruise up and down river for a while and see where others with boats of your size are anchoring and use those spots as "potential" locations for you to use in the future. Some people will drive their boat on rocks to have a little beach time. :confused: <br /><br />Hope this helps..