I think i bought the wrong starter

lanlinc

Recruit
I have a 4.3 lx mercruiser motor and my original solenoid went (or least I think it went) and I went online and bought a starter with solenoid. The original starter had 4 posts and the one I bought has 3. I have two large red wires with go to the B post (were on the B post from the oriinal starter) one purple wire that goes to the I post that the new starter has and then there is a yellow/red wire that did go to the s post, but the new starter does not have this. The online source I bought the starter from swore that this starter works with my application. My question is can I put this yellow/red wire some place else, or does it need to go to the s post on the solenoid and do I just need to go to the boat store and just have them order me a starter with the correct amount of posts on it?

Thanks from the newbie.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I think i bought the wrong starter

The original starter had 4 posts and the one I bought has 3.

You bought an automotive starter, not marine. That is a NO-NO. Marine starters are ignition protected to keep you from blowing up in case you get a fuel leak.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

You bought an automotive starter, not marine. That is a NO-NO. Marine starters are ignition protected to keep you from blowing up in case you get a fuel leak.

Obviously he needs a different starter, but how do you know the one he has is not marine?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Interesting....I scroll down in that ebay posting and find what looks to be the correct marine starter. yes...it costs more. You have a "boat".

lanlinc

Recruit

Can someone kindly point me to the correct one? Thanks,,,

lanlinc

Recruit

So I looked at the one you posted and man that's expensive! Looked around a bit and just fyi on my boat: I have a 4.3LX/V6 Alpha One motor in my 2004 Starcraft 1810.

I was looking at this one here and wondering since it's a little cheaper will it work or should I just go with the $80 coated one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Starter...64A4-50-807904A1-/130593842584#ht_4963wt_1279

Thanks everyone for the assist. This is a wonderful site by the way, I'll really enjoy working on my baby now that I may have a little assistance and a large knowledge base here. Thanks, the newbie!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that one will work.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made the same mistake in getting a auto starter and the guy said it would work that I could just put my purple and yellow cable on the same post... Well it started the boat for about three seconds then blew a fuse that was hidden behind the engine that took me 3 days to find!!!! :facepalm: So don't make the same mistake I did...

David

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I made the same mistake in getting a auto starter and the guy said it would work that I could just put my purple and yellow cable on the same post... Well it started the boat for about three seconds then blew a fuse that was hidden behind the engine that took me 3 days to find!!!! :facepalm: So don't make the same mistake I did...

David

Curious....(@dmoss): were you able to teach the guy at the auto parts store (or wherever you got that starter) the definition of "marine" starter? Did you tell him he could have killed you and anyone else on the boat? I know it sounds a bit extreme, but it IS that important... especially to ensure he doesn't lead someone else down that path.

lanlinc

Recruit

I had it all hooked up, less the yellow/red cable and was dumbfounded that I had actually bought the wrong starter. I would've never just hooked it to one of the terminals without some serious motor head looking at it prior. I'm usually pretty thorough about looking at things prior to a buy, but man this will be a costly $62.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

because it's missing a post.

There are 3 post marine starters out there. On the other hand I would guess that most/all replacement starters have 4 posts so they can be used in both aplications ( boats with or without purple lead) so as obvious as it seems I guess I missed it.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curious....(@dmoss): were you able to teach the guy at the auto parts store (or wherever you got that starter) the definition of "marine" starter? Did you tell him he could have killed you and anyone else on the boat? I know it sounds a bit extreme, but it IS that important... especially to ensure he doesn't lead someone else down that path.

Yes I did!!! Once I got my money back that is haha