125HP, 1986, Exhaust Snout Falls Off

I just lost my second exhaust snout. (FYI with the exhaust snout missing the prop ventilates with the exhaust to the point that the boat must be accelerated slowly.)

When I installed the second one I made sure the bolts were tight and used lock washers. I've had the engine for several years and have never had this problem before. Any ideas on what's making my snouts go AWOL?

Any one have an exhaust snout they want to sell?

Thanks. Steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125HP, 1986, Exhaust Snout Falls Off

Neither bolt should have a lockwasher. The front bolt should be a 5/16 thread with a thin 5/8 head. It can not be tightened adequately with a socket or box wrench. Only and open end will grab the flats to tighten. The inside bolt should be a 5/16 thread allen head with a small, thin washer.

If the problem has recurred, check the threads on both sides of the snout. They may be dicked up and unable to hold the bolts. Try a little Permatex red gasket cement (non-hardening) to hold them in. Do not use thread locking liquid since you need to remove the snout occasionally.

I do have a couple of extra white snouts. I also have the correct bolts. If interested send me a PM.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 125HP, 1986, Exhaust Snout Falls Off

I just wonder if someone has been taking it off for you? LOL!