ethanol buster

i put a post on here about my boat spitting and sputtering and a few said that it was the ethanol in the gas..i talked to my mechanic and he said the same and to get something called ethanol buster..has anyone ever heard of it and is there another product that does the same thing?thanks chris

hunterny

Cadet
Re: ethanol buster

i put a post on here about my boat spitting and sputtering and a few said that it was the ethanol in the gas..i talked to my mechanic and he said the same and to get something called ethanol buster..has anyone ever heard of it and is there another product that does the same thing?thanks chris

I use this in my boat and have had good luck,my boat was doing the same as yours http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product01A7.aspx

Brewman61

Ensign

Another possibility is to find out if you have ethanol free gasoline available in your area. Even here in MN, where corn is king, we can get ethanol free gas (aka non-oxy). It's not legal to pump it into passenger vehicles etc, but it is approved to use in boats, lawn mowers, or anything of that nature. In my area it's only available in premium grade, so that coupled with it being non ethanol, it's a bit more expensive than street gas. Except at the marina on my lake, which sells the same thing for more than a bit more- about $5 per gallon.
Try doing a google search on ethanol free gasoline, or similar if you're interested.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You know, literally MILLIONS of different types of vehicles including boats operate on E10 every day with absolutely no problems at all.

Mercury, Volvo Penta, BRP, Nissan, Tohatsu, and a whole host of other manufacturers certify their engines to operate on E10.

Since many of us also, have used it with absolutely no problems,

You might consider that your problem might be something OTHER than simply the fuel in the tank.......Like the MOST common causes of "spitting and Sputtering" (lack of proper maintenance or a regular "tune-up", fuel filter, fuel contamination, very old fuel, etc.)

Just saying......

Rick

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or a severely gummed up carb and fuel system that the "devil" ethanol has cleaned up for you (or attempted to clean up) and which even running regular fuel would have bit you anyway -- only just a little bit farther down the lake. Has nobody ever heard or experienced carb issues prior to ethanol being used? But then half the members of this forum weren't born before ethanol arrived so I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Has nobody ever heard or experienced carb issues prior to ethanol being used? But then half the members of this forum weren't born before ethanol arrived so I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

I of course have had MANY carburetor problems and other fuel related problems over the years! 1965 and on......

And like you're implying, the problems I had many years before E10 existed don't seem to be much different after it was introduced.

so I guess I'm preaching to the choir.
Me too!
AND I'm singing in it!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

GZWW

Recruit

ETHANOL FUEL IS CAUSING 2-CYCLE AND SMALL ENGINE PROBLEMS WITHOUT A DOUBT. IF YOU CAN FIND NON-ETHANOL FUEL USE IT IN YOUR OUTBOARD, LAWNMOWERS, CHAIN SAWS, ETC. ETHANOL IS COSTING THESE MOTOR OWNERS BIG TIME AND MECHANICS ARE DOING WELL. THERE ARE SEVERAL BRANDS THAT HELP WITH ETHANOL BUT NONE ARE PERFECT FOR ALL PROBLEMS BEING CREATED. I USE A PRODUCT BY STARBRITE CALLED STARTRON, I BUY IT AT LOWES FOR $6.97, 8 OZ BOTTLE TREATS ABOUT 48 GALLONS. IN OUTBOARDS I HAVE SEEN THE INSIDE OF FUEL LINES COLLAPSE, FUEL SQUEEZE BULBS DISSOLVE CAUSING MOTOR TO RUN RUFF TO BLOWING UP. AVOID ETHANOL IN ALL THE ABOVE IF POSSIBLE. NON-ETHANOL IS GETTING HARDER TO FIND. IF YOU KNOW STATION THAT OFFERS IT GO TO WWW.PURE-GAS.ORG AND ADD IT TO THE LIST BY STATE AND TOWN FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO SEE.
IN MY OPINION...I WOULD DO THE FOLLOWING NOW:
CHECK FUEL LINE FROM THE TANK TO THE MOTOR, MAKE SURE ITS MADE FOR ETHANOL USE (NEVER USE A AFTER MARKET SQUEEZE BULB REPLACEMENT) IF YOU HAVE A OLDER BOAT THEY MAY NONE USED THE ETHANOL PROOF HOSE FROM YOUR BUILT IN TANK TO YOUR MOTOR BECAUSE THE BETTER HOSES HAVE NOT BEEN OUT THAT LONG YET
USE A MOISTURE/FUEL SEPARATOR SOMEWHERE IN YOUR FUEL LINE
ALWAYS BURN THE FUEL OUT OF YOUR CARBURATOR BEFORE TAKING OUT OF THE WATER, EVEN IF YOUR GOING BOATING NEXT WEEK-END. FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM MAY NOT GIVE THIS ABILITY
USE AN ADDITIVE EVER TANK UNTIL YOU CAN GET NON-ETHANOL FUEL, EVEN THEN BURN THE FUEL OUT OF YOUR CARB EVER TRIP END
ETHANOL COLLECTS MOISTURE, KEEPING A FULL TANK IS BETTER THAN A PARTIAL, WHEN BOAT IS IN NONE USE, PARTICULARILY IF YOU HAVE A OLDER METAL TANK DUE TO CONDENSATION.
REFERENCE READING: http://www.naturalnews.com/035205_ethanol_gasoline_engines.html
http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_engine_precautions.html
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=525608

oldjeep

Admiral

Meh - there are 2 main problems that ethanol causes with small engines and neither of them require any sort of snake oil in the tank to solve. We've had e10 for 20+ years and you don't hear anything about ethanol related problems here. All the hysteria comes from areas where it has been recently introduced

1) it cleans them out - quick
2) It makes them run lean

#2 is the big killer of small carburated engines because people don't adjust the mixture to compensate for the E10.