Remind me again why I am a boater?

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today was one of those days, surprised by my own stupidity/forgetfulness.

Went to drop my boat off at the marina this morning (tired of trailering so I am going with rack storage.) Filled out the paperwork, gave them my insurance info, yada, yada. Getting ready to launch and I forgot my keys at home. Not a huge deal, I will just disconnect and make the 25 minute run home to get them. Well, when I was disconnecting I sat my 7-pin to 5-pin bobtail on my bumper, and it must have remained there as I drove off never to be seen again.

Back to the marina with my keys and it's time to prep the boat. Everything is loaded, transom straps removed, good to go. Back down the ramp and I fire up the engine, no issues there. Then after letting the engine run a bit, just as I am about ready to walk forward and remove the bow strap, I notice my bilge pump is running, I FORGOT THE PLUG! So I yell to my buddy to pull my truck up as I scramble to shut down the engine and trim up as he pulls me up the ramp. The bilge pump continued to run on the ramp for a few seconds, and water poured out of the plug hole for a little while.

Once I had the plug in and launched properly the only issue was the unbearable heat, but we managed to squeeze in a little ride in the slough and stop by the marina next door for a quick bite to eat. Then, the best part, I just tied up to the dock and walked away, knowing my boat is secure and would be stored on the rack shortly. That was the best part of the day, no trailering home.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Remind me again why I am a boater?

I keep mine on a slip, and being as I have changed over to a toon , no more plug or bilge pump to mess with :D

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been thinking about rack storage. I don't want to deal with paiting the bottom for a slip. It would be in salt water. Keep us posted on how you like it and if everything works out.

Insteada

Seaman Apprentice

The next step is a slip so you can just hang out and watch the world go by. Which Marina did you end up going with? Lot's of good choices on Dardenne slough.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Being on a slip sure has its advantages. Mine is a 15 minute drive away. I will be just sitting around and decide to take the boat out for a spin and I do. Or I will just sit on it and watch the people at the concrete beach.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The next step is a slip so you can just hang out and watch the world go by. Which Marina did you end up going with? Lot's of good choices on Dardenne slough.

I'm at Woodland Marina for now. I didn't want to pay for the winter months when my boat will be in my dad's shed and they are the only one with a "seasonal" option.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

now that you got a whole bunch of bad times in one day, you can really enjoy the good times....

fireman57

Captain

The reason that you are a boater is God's way of telling you that you have too much money. At least that is what my bride tells me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

because it keeps you humble.

as to slip/lift/rack storage:
the closer you get to being in the water, the better, and the more you use the boat.
Of course, it's usually a matter of economics, but a seldom-used boat costs more per trip than a frequently used boat, and nothing about boats makes good economic sense anyway. But since you are paying for pleasure boating, may as well pay to make boating pleasurable!

painting a bottom and having bilge pumps is not a big deal.
A big part of the decision process is whether the boat requires full cover when not in use, or whether it's made for the outdoors. That's where inside racking may be better.
A dry slip (boat/trailer parking space at a ramp) is a great way to go. Don't have to mess with tie-downs, big vehicles, load/unload, etc.

Junkshow

Cadet

Because the good days are so well worth it.
I've tried it a bunch of ways, private dock, buoy, slip and now to the trailer. Changes of water, financial responsibilities and ability to use the boat all play a roll. Have to say that a boat on a private dock that is three hours away just doesn't get used as much as when it's in the back yard and the water is twenty minutes away.