sea ray 17 ft 3.0 (130 hp)..no speed

jran

Seaman Apprentice
How do I check for prop slipping?? I can get rpm's from engine but can't get speed to match......feels like I am dragging a grand piano behind me.........I have a 1989 sea ray 17ft 3.0 alpha stern drive with a brand new 19p prop(aluminum)...Engine runs great but can't seem to get over 25 mph at about 4000 to 4200 rpm's.....tried trim in and out but can't seem to get going........help...

jestor68

Commander
Re: sea ray 17 ft 3.0 (130 hp)..no speed

It appears that you may need to drop down in pitch to at least a 17. That will raise your WOT rpm by 300-400 and get you up to about 4600 WOT rpm.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, something isn't right here. My 19 footer with 120 hp will sing right along at 35 mph with a 14.5x19p. The one very important variable we don't have to work with is weight. How much weight is this little boat trying to carry? 6 people and full of fuel, or just the sole operator and 5 gallons onboard? Are you trying to drag a grand piano behind you (300 lb. friend on a slalom ski perhaps?)

jestor68

Commander

Hmm, something isn't right here. My 19 footer with 120 hp will sing right along at 35 mph with a 14.5x19p.

With a zero to 35 mph time of 60 seconds? :facepalm:

A new 19ft Searay with a 4.3L does (according to Boat test.Com) 44.7 mph at 4500 rpm. Not surprising, since you would expect advances in hull design between 1989 and 2012.

So I guess all 19 footers ARE NOT necessarily created equal.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With a zero to 35 mph time of 60 seconds? :facepalm:

Jestor, I'm not sure what your question means. Are you trying to be sarcastic?

I asked the OP questions about weight that could very well be the source (or contributing source) of his issue.
Would you like to address what I mentioned in an intelligent fashion, or simply continue to cast your derision at me?

Maclin

Admiral

Mark the prop with some kind of marker that is not water soluble, beginning on the outside of the hub between blades then across to the hub then on to the other side, run the prop then look at the marks to see if they stay lined up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is the bottom clean and smooth?Are you sure the throttle opens all the way?
That little 17 footer should run about a 21" prop at speeds around 40 mph. at 4600-4800 rpm
The typical spun hub usually occurs at a certain strain and usually have to reduce throttle to stop it.
as use progresses it will gradually get worse with failure requiring less and less throttle.
You can remove the prop and draw a water proof line across the hub then do a test run note if the line is broken.
at the hub and prop body joint.
The numbers don't add up presently by the numbers your slip is 34%. A good slip is around 10%.
Really bad slip in a boat like yours is around 20%.
Is the speed by gps?If so then very likely your tach isn't accurate.

jran

Seaman Apprentice

I have been driving the boat with just myself and sometimes my wife.......average weight and not pulling any ski's or rafts or anything......I can get 4500 rpm no problem......but no speed......no misses in engine as it runs and sounds real smoothe......I still don't get how you check for prop slip?....

jran

Seaman Apprentice

according to my manuals I should get between 4200- 4600 rpm's from engine......I can get 4500 to 4600 rpm at no problem. Bottom is clean and smoothe. Just removed and replaced prop for checking and finding anything wrong. Didn't notice anything...Engine sounds great and running smooth. I just had four people (grown ups) on boat and no change in speed. I have tried trim out and in and everywhere in between tryin' to find that so called sweet spot....Usually it is just me in the boat or also my wife(145 lbs)......just really disapointed......25 mph????

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

to check for prop slip, as others have mentioned.

use a non water soluble writing device, like a grease pen, or permanent marker. mark the prop and the center nut in a strait line like this

---

then go run the boat. when you get done, that line should still be strait, if it looks like this

-|- -\- -/- you get the idea.

then you got a bum hub and need to either get it re hubbed or purchase another prop.

I have a 99 sear ray 180 with the same engine and the gen 2 outdrive. I ran just yesterday with a full tank, 2 adults and 2 kids. i ran right at 40mph and 4500 rpm.

you need to also weigh the boat. look on searay.com for the correct weight from the factory, add a couple hundred pounds for the trailer, and see what that compares to your boat weight. with a boat that age you could very well be toting around 3 or 400lbs of water if you have bad floor and/or stringers.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is your speed by gps?
Your running a 19" prop The boat should be close to over revving or possibly over revving .
Sp[eed around 40.
A 17" prop would normally be used to do water sports with a load of people aboard.
Is there a whale sale or hydro foil on the outdrive?
I think you have a motor issue.could be as simple as a plug wire off.
Not unusual for timing to be set wrong or not advancing as it should.
If not a motor issue either the speed is wrong or the rpm is off.
34% slip is highly unlikely. You need to use a prop calculator to figure slip and at least 4 out of 5
specs. Use google to look up "prop calculator".