flywheel wont come off 95 merc sportjet 90 hp

hypersniper

Banned
bought a nice little donzi jetboat today. guy said it had no power and has sat for 3 years. said might be impellar slipping on shaft. so i checked it out and jet drive is 100%good. what i did find is gunked carbs and not the kind of gunked from sitting 3 years but gunked from running junk in it. also found most the magnets loose on the flywheel. so i got the puller out and attached it to the flywheel and it will not come off. i dont want to hammer on it or put heatto it . i have it soaking with penetrating oil and the puller with pressure on it. any tips on getting it off. all the magnets are in good condition and not broken. also have the red stator too.

hypersniper

Banned
Re: flywheel wont come off 95 merc sportjet 90 hp

WOOO HOOO got it. it fought the good battle but in the end couldnt defend against my persistance. (and a big bar on the wrench) ok with that off now on to the fun part and my next question... is there a certain position for the magnets to be put back on the flywheel ? that is how the timing is set right ? off the position of the magnets and if you shear the shear pin it throws timing off so the magnet position sets the timing.
i have cleaned every single speck of the old epoxy off the inside of the flywheel and plan on using a 2 part epoxy and clamps to refasten the to the flywheel. should i paint it first or leave it bare metal ? really hate rusty parts.
this is my new toy. 1995 donzi 152 medallion with a sport jet 90hp.
5G45H65Jb3n83me3Jec76a593c96592a1155e.jpg5G75H55M13Kd3L73Ndc769dec79e3defe1535.jpg

emoney

Commander

I can't help you today, but if you haven't gotten a response by tomorrow, I can send you a link with a free, downloadable Mercy Jet
Service Manual. I ended up printing a copy and bringing it home (I'm old fashioned that way), so that's why it's not stored here.
But, pretty sure there's a diagram for the flywheel in it, to include the magnets.

hypersniper

Banned

i managed to figure it out. there were still marks on the flywheel from the magnets. i epoxied them back on with exact spacing between them. waiting for it to dry 100% before i reinstall it on the motor. thanks for offering the help.

silly34

Seaman Apprentice

Now if I could just get mine off. Arrgghh..

B.

hypersniper

Banned

well i got it to run today finally. after 2 switchboxes and 2 sets of coils. but its still not right. i have to disconnect the black/yellow wire to get it to run but cant use the key to shut it off. so i need another switchbox and hopefully the third time will be a charm.

hypersniper

Banned

ok just a thought and someone please correct me if im wrong.... why cant i connect a kill switch or a lanyard type switch on the black/yellow wire to kill the motor and continue to use the switchbox the way it is for now. i will put a fuseable link on both sides of the kill switch just in case. does this sound possible ?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something is causing the kill wire to be grounded, it could be 4 things: ignition switch, lanyard switch, rev limiter, or shorted to ground kill wire. If you can isolate any of those you shoul be able to track down your problem. First disconnect rev limiter, then lanyard then ignition switch while testing for continuity to ground.

Ignition switch grounds the kill wire only in the off position, the lanyard switch grounds it in the disconnected position, the revlimiter grounds it when the engine overspeeds or when it becomes defective. A shorted to ground wire can be intermittent or permanent.

Just check step by step eliminating the causes one at a time.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

I had to take all the wireing off and redo all the grounds on mine, you might want to do the same. I would think it woudl be the rev limiter causeing the problem. If you have a new switchbox and coils i wouldnt mess with them at that price. i would just move on to the rev limiter and the kill switch.