Evinrude, model E90TSLECM, cooling /overheating issue

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to everyone,
I have a question for all of you. My dad has a new to him 90 horse Evinrude, model# E90TSLECM. Anyway, we replaced the water pump impeller, thermostats with new kits, and reinstalled my very , extremely clean out carbs with brand new carb kits. After we did all of this we put the water muffs onm and turned the hose on full water power and cranked the outboard over. we noticed that when it first came on it pumped water pretty good and strong out of the tale tell then it slowly went away slowing the flow down to nothing. Now, we do have water in a couple of cylinders so we are thinking the head gaskets are bad and need replacing and we did remove the heads and verified that there was water inside a couple of cylinders. Now we did find out that this outboard did overheat at one time. My question is, will a bad head gasket cause the water pump pisser or tale tell to work strong at first then go away to no tell tale or pisser after about less than a minute?:confused:

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Evinrude, model E90TSLECM, cooling /overheating issue

1: Throw away water muffs when checking engine temp and cooling system!!
2: Put engine in barrel or even better at sea, buy an IR temp gun and check temp on both banks.
3: If changing head gaskets, replace the water deflectors and thermostats at the same time.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude, model E90TSLECM, cooling /overheating issue

Anybody else got any ideals about the motor mentioned above? does bad head gaskets cause your pee stream to become week to nonexistent? I was juts curious and learning more and more about outboards.