Pontoon Replacement?

RuthlessINXS

Cadet
I just bought a 1971 MonArk 24ft Pontoon boat w/ trailer and motor (for cheap) and started looking over all the things that I need/want to replace. The pontoons are in pretty rough shape. They do not appear to have been punctured but someone has obviously hit a few logs, stumps, and docks in the last 40 years. I know she's been on the water 5 times for 2+ hours since I bought her and she doesn't appear to be taking in any water. Is it possible to replace the pontoons? If not,or even if so, is it possible to purchase just the pontoons and braces and build her up from there?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Replacement?

Depending on where the dents are you may be able to change sides with the toons being as most end up dented up on the outsides and swapping them around moves it to the inside and out of sight.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Anything is possible but do you really want to drop that kind of money into a 41 year old boat?

Off the top of my head a killer deal on tubes would be @$800 each and crossmembers could be as much as $15 each or more.

I work for Bennington in the weld shop and have seen invoices for tubes and to order tubes trhough a Benny dealer you would need to triple the $800 per tube, but I don't think they would even fit on your boat and you can find deals on them.

In reality it is a 41 year old boat, fix up the top and leave the tubes alone if they really don't leak, the cost/benefit just isn't there like it would be with new furniture, console ect.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The one tube from ebay was just one of many, all different prices, some lower than those i sent, was just sending an example.Go to ebay and type in pontoon logs, there's a whole page of them .I did some more general searches for them , found all kinds , plastic even.
You might could even find another used pontoon boat/ no motor for less than a new pontoon log.Then you could use one as parts or have one for fishing and one for parting, you would just need another motor, but then again 2 pontoons is a little much, depending on how much room you got.
It's up to you pontoon logs are out there to be had , but you may have to widen your search.
Just a few thoughts, good luck, hope you find what your looking for, Lee

RuthlessINXS

Cadet

Thanks all of y'all for the help. As it turns out, some previous owner decided that tack welding some of the supports on was a good idea so it looks like I'm going to have to deal with these for the time being. Eventually I'll just build a pontoon from scratch as there is a pontoon log and frame dealer about 20min away so I should be posting that project eventually. Thanks again for the help.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, replacement toons for my project are way too expensive....cost more than a decent condition newer pontoon.
Try to find a neglected boat that you can get for cheap and swap them over....or just bring them to get pressure tested and then use it as is...if they don't leak i wouldn't be concerned about visual appearances.