Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me where to add trim/tilt fluid?

Redkneck

Seaman
I believe this OMC is about a mid 80's model. Picking up a johnson 48spl. Trying to help my pop with it by getting a few lose ends finished up to get it ready to sell.

The one screw looks to be all the way at the bottom of the pump, the other is in the correct place vertically, but inaccessible there on the left (without pulling the pin that connects the rod to the motor)

20120707_151859.jpg

Thanks as always,
john

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me where to add trim/tilt fluid?

I'm nearly sure that the filler screw is the one one far left of the unit, under the wires between the unit and bracket.prob a bit*h to get to but maybe the bolts holding the unit aren't in too tight and will loosen easily enough for you so you can get the unit to move, so you can top it up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me where to add trim/tilt fluid?

A model # would help.

Redkneck

Seaman

20120707_174731.jpg

If that is the filler port, I would like to kick the guy that designed it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I happen to have an '89 manual and sorry to say, but that is the filler plug just under the t/t mtr on the port side. If you look on the same side and peer through one of the tilt pin holes you'll find your manual release valve. I agree, the guy who designed this should be hung by his balls.

Redkneck

Seaman

Thanks a million. Even though it sux, at least I have a firm course of action, lol.

Haffiman

Commander

Your mod number indicates that you do not have T/T as original, but the unit is an aftermarket type installed by a prev owner.

PS: The plastic clip on port side indicates the engine has originally had a Touch-Trim unit. (Gas and no electric)

Redkneck

Seaman

Your mod number indicates that you do not have T/T as original, but the unit is an aftermarket type installed by a prev owner.

PS: The plastic clip on port side indicates the engine has originally had a Touch-Trim unit. (Gas and no electric)

Not real sure what you mean about the touch trim? Forgive my ignorance. Not sure who may have put on the aftermarket unit, but there is an up/down button on the engine and the throttle handle so it appears to be OEM.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

According to my OMC '89 service manual it shows exactly what he has with the fill plug on the side.