Remote Control Operation

Ol_Pete

Recruit
I have a 1987 Yamaha 40, 2 stroke, electric start, maual choke.
After the engine has warmed up and been running fine from high speed to idle, when moving the shifter from neutal to forward (and not accelerating), is anything happening between the remote and the engine other than the mechanical shift linkage in the engine being moved? Is there any "electrical communication" going on/changing between the shifter and the motor or anything changing/adjusting the fuel to the engine?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Remote Control Operation

what seems to be the problem you are chasing down?
Is the motor dying when shifted into gear?

I do not think there is anything electrical in the shifter/controller except a neutral safety switch, but that does not control fuel.
There is throttle linkage that advances timing as you throttle up

Ol_Pete

Recruit

"what seems to be the problem you are chasing down?
Is the motor dying when shifted into gear?"
That's it!! It will restart without a problem. I can run the idle up with the idle level. I can run the idle back all the way down and it will idle fine, but as soon as I click the shifter into forward (without accelerating), it dies. Its as if some "kill switch" is being accicentally activated. I've only used the boat (13' whaler) 2x this year and this has happened both times - after starting initially without a problem, motoring out of a mooring area, then running around for 15-30 at various speeds.

"I do not think there is anything electrical in the shifter/controller except a neutral safety switch, but that does not control fuel."
What is the "neutral safety switch" and what is it supposed to do? Maybe its failed and causing my problem?

"There is throttle linkage that advances timing as you throttle"
I have the problem without throttling up, so I'm thinking I can eliminate the timing advance.

Thanks for your response.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like your motor is running too lean at idle after warm up, needs carbs cleaned and adjusted like manual states. when you load up a motor by putting in gear it needs a little more fuel is my guess

Would be a good idea to check compression, spark, and timing also to make sure all of that is good

Ol_Pete

Recruit

So you don't think there's anything that could be screwed up in the remote control (like some kind of electical problem) that could be causing it to stall?