Installing new trailer bunks

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. I was just wondering if 2" x 4" x 8' set on their edge (rather than laid flat) are strong enough to support a 14' tinny, or do I need to use 2 x 6's? I'm guesstimating the weight of the boat to be around 450 lbs. I will be covering the new bunks with carpeting, using SS staples and galvanized hardware throughout. Thanks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Installing new trailer bunks

No need for 2X6 lumber for a 14' tinny. 2X4 is what was under my 14' Lund until I went to a full roller trailer.

kfa4303

Banned

awesome! that's sort of what I was hoping to hear. now i just have to be sure that my brackets will allow me to turn the lumber on edge from their current flat orientation. I'm pretty sure they will, but it's raining too hard to check right now.... thanks bonz_d.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

My bunks lay flat [2x4s about 5 feet long] on my 14' Lund full of gear and a 35hp Johnson. Never has a problem with it.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I am lost, but how would a 2x6 be stronger than a 2x4 if they were both on their edge rather than flat?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My bunks lay flat [2x4s about 5 feet long] on my 14' Lund full of gear and a 35hp Johnson. Never has a problem with it.

same here with 17' spectrum with 50hp 2 batteries and never had a problem. and i think there origional 1989. been thinking of replacing soon. ill stick with what worked.

halfmoa

Ensign

awesome! that's sort of what I was hoping to hear. now i just have to be sure that my brackets will allow me to turn the lumber on edge from their current flat orientation. I'm pretty sure they will, but it's raining too hard to check right now.... thanks bonz_d.

Rain? What's rain? Is that the wet stuff that falls from the sky? Haven't seen that in over a month.

Anyway, my 16ft tinny has set on 2x4s on their edge it's whole life. I think you'll be fine.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need to put them on edge - they are plenty strong enough to support your boat. Flat orientation will provide better support to your hull, plus make it easier to launch/load (since boat will be sitting 2 inches lower on trailer).

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 18' maxum boat and it is seating on 2x4x8 bunk flat. I dont have any problem with it. But I want to install (2) shorter bunk in the middle so that the boat would line up when I pull the boat onto the trailer after boating and this will have to wait until next season.

64osby

Admiral

kfa, you might find that 8' is too long. On my 14' Lone*Star I put 6' bunks on edge and it worked great. If 8' bunks had been installed the curve of the hull would make the last 2' useless.

Send some rain this way please, less than 1/2" since June 1st. No rain in site for 10 more days according to the local weatherman. Crops are drying up. Eating is going to get expensive real fast.

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks again for the input y'all. The only reason I want to put the bunks on edge is so that I can make them a bit longer. The flat bunks are in good shape, but drooping a bit at either end and they don't quite go far enough back. As a result, there's about 12"-18" of the boat and the motor extending past the bunk in the rear. It's only a 14' tinny with a '66 20 hp (approx. 80-90 lbs.), so it's not super heavy, but I'd like to be able to support the transom as best as possible. I figured setting the bunks on edge would allow me to make them a bit longer to support the back of the boat. I thought about simply pulling the boat further forward on the trailer, but I don't have enough tongue for that. Thankfully, there's no issue with transom flex, or anything like that, but I'd like to err on the side of caution and keep it that way. The good news is that the bunk brackets I have can/will hold the boards in either orientation.

I wish I could help with the weather. After the tropical storm, which we kind of needed, we're back to our normal, daily monsoon pattern; 95-100 temp with 80-90 humidity, torrential rain for about 45 min around 3:30 in the afternoon, followed by steaming roads and
fizzy hair (if I had hair). Rinse and repeat for the next 3-4 months.......

64osby

Admiral

Long towards the transom is a good thing. You still might find the front of the bunks won't be in contact with the hull.

Sounds like a good fix.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah the front is well supported by the bow stop, but the back of the boat hangs off a bit. I wouldn't be so worries, but one of my favorite spots is at the end of a long dirt/sand road that's rippled like a washboard and all that bouncing around worries me a bit. I think I can put the new bunks on edge without raising the boat any higher than it is. Thankfully, most of the ramps I go to are pretty good and I can load/unload with ease, but there a few of places out on the flats where the water is super shallow no matter where you put in, so a nice low riding boat is handy, but I still have to shove it off sometimes. I do have a Magic Tilt Trailer, but I've never actually used its tiltabilty. It kind of freaks me out and I can just see myself trying to be clever by using it at the launch and making a mess of things. I don't want to be the guy in one of those "Boat Launch FAIL" vids on youtube. I need my gizmos as low tech as possible :) I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. Hopefully gonna pick up the lumber, SS staples and carpet today....

Eazzy

Seaman

Take a 2x6 and rip it in half attach it upright to the bottom side of your 2x4 each piece should be a little less than 2 3/4 in with attach with some 3 1\2 in. deck screws should take any sag out.

Jlawsen

Take a 2x6 and rip it in half attach it upright to the bottom side of your 2x4 each piece should be a little less than 2 3/4 in with attach with some 3 1\2 in. deck screws should take any sag out.

Or you could just crown them up and never have a problem either..

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I do have a Magic Tilt Trailer, but I've never actually used its tiltabilty. It kind of freaks me out and I can just see myself trying to be clever by using it at the launch and making a mess of things. I don't want to be the guy in one of those "Boat Launch FAIL" vids on youtube. I need my gizmos as low tech as possible :) .

kfa4303, No need to worry about looking foolish when using the tilt. I have been using tilt trailers for the past two trailers because like you there are ramps that it's just needed to get in and out of the water. Which is also why I've stuck with my 14' Lund.

Quick lesson on how to use it. While loaded raise the engine all the way up then back into the water until the rear wheels of the tow vehicle are at the edge of the water. Unlatch the tilt lock if there is one. Then unhook the bow strap and give a push. As the boat slides back the trailer will tilt and lower the rear of the boat into the water. The trailer will also only tilt as far as it needs to. High water it will not tilt as much as with low water, as when I launch and it's so shallow that when backed in the prop still isn't even getting wet!

To retrieve it's all the same just backwards. Pull the winch strap to the end of the trailer, unlatch the tilt, back in to the water the same way. Line up the boat to the end of the trailer, connect the bow strap, pushing down on the end of the trailer if needed then winch'er on up! Again the trailer bed will only tilt as far as is needed on it's own and when winched on this way I've never had a problem with it loading straight unless there was a terrific cross wind blowing.

Believe me it works! This past Monday when I went out the lake I fish is down so far that after I was launched I had to paddle 50 yards out to where the water was actually deep enough to lower the engine. So don't be afraid to give'r a try you might find yourself going to places you'd never thought of trying before.

Jlawsen

kfa4303, No need to worry about looking foolish when using the tilt. I have been using tilt trailers for the past two trailers because like you there are ramps that it's just needed to get in and out of the water. Which is also why I've stuck with my 14' Lund.

Agree, I have a 22' North River Commander that's great but I also have a little 16' Jetcraft that I love too. I've used the tilt trailers before and personally think they're a lot smarter solution than dealing with rollers on a steep ramp. My Jetcraft has a lower water launch trailer so I don't need it now but if I didn't have that, I'd certainly opt for the tilt.

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks for the description bonz_d. I think I got it. I might give it a try this weekend. I know a secluded, but shallow beach I could practice on. It would be pretty sweet to be able to launch in the skinny water without having to back the truck up into the water so far. I'll try to remember to take pics of the new bunk installation and magic tilt experiment.

BTW....could I use the tilt feature to help load/unload the boat in the front yard while I replace the bunks? I suppose I could replace them with the boat in place, using a jack, but It kinda freaks me out being under the boat like that and it would be a lot easier to get to all of the hardware. Plus, I could practice looking like an idiot at home rather than out in public where everyone can laugh :)