1968 Type 1 Out-drive Gimbal Ring Tilt Switch Needs Fix

23x8io

Cadet
:confused: 1968 160 6 cyl. Mercruiser I/O. The Tilt Limit Switch in the top of the gimbal ring in a 1968 Type 1 out-drive has died of old age. Has any body worked out a fix? It is a rubber covered , normally on switch approx. 1 inch in diameter. Please post any and all ideas. Thanks - Rich

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1968 Type 1 Out-drive Gimbal Ring Tilt Switch Needs Fix

on a 1974 mc1 outdrive i had i managed to salvage mine as the wires had coroded.
sorry but never took any snaps so all i can do is explain.my wires were broken next to switch itself.
inside the switch is a couple of contactors with a spring i believe that holds them apart from each other which may be insulated to stop a dead short.two wires were replaced with new ones which were soldered on and then tested with a multimeter that it worked as it should .marine grease filled.switch was then remounted and wires passed through to inside of boat.connectors then fitted.i believe i choose marine grade tinned wire as its always in the water.
as gimbal ring raises on drive it moves the stainless sprung finger up onto the switch that cuts the supply to the pump/switch.i then had to press two of the three switches together to raise the drive up fotr trailering.
getting everything out was a pain but all is achievable with basic tools.
you could join the two wires together inside the engine bay which would take the switch out of operation.the feed side not the switch side.
just dont trim up too far whilst moving faster which you should't do anyhow.

23x8io

Cadet
Re: 1968 Type 1 Out-drive Gimbal Ring Tilt Switch Needs Fix

Thanks for the detailed reply on your fix to the tilt switch. The red rubber cover on mine is hard as a rock and the top of it fell off. Inside has some corrosion but was able to clean it all out. There is no sign of a spring. Is it under the steel disc with a small hole in the center or on top that disc? The two brass contacts that are bent over on the end, one on each side, are in good condition. (they hold the disc centered in the switch) I will try to get the disc out today to see what is under it. I have been searching the internet for a 1 inch dia. water-proof rubber covered switch that is normally closed but as yet no luck. Venturing on, Rich