Questions about my set up? Looking for more!!

Bckrdjeep

Recruit
Hi all I have a glastron carlson CVX16 with a johnson 135 V4. I've got a manual jack plate with oh I'd say a 7"ish set back (it was something we had kicking around the shop) I'm running a 23" stainless Raker D-cup prop. I was wondering if anyone has heard of plugging 2 of the pickups and drilling another hole to make sure I'm getting sufficient water? Good? Bad? What do you think? I've driven some pretty fast boats, action marine with a mod 225, checkmate with a mod 200, hydrastream with a mod 200 etc.. I'm in the process of building an evinrude 225 however that won't be done for a while to many projects going on not enough time. Anyways my question is what else can I do for more speed? I know you can take a merc prop and machine it down to fit a V4 because right now I could use more prop and I could get a big merc v6 prop for pretty cheap... I was also told V force reeds and jetting would also boost me a bit. I haven't put a GPS on it yet so I can't tell you for sure what I'm running for speed, all I know is I'm already bored with it and I only put approx 5 gals thru her.. Any other ideas or tips for more speed on a V4? Thanks from maine!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Questions about my set up? Looking for more!!

You and my Buddy Philster are going to do a lot of talking!!

I don't know what to tell you, your speaking Greek to me but it sounds cool!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard!! Not sure where to put this actually. Kind of sounds like a prop question so I think I'll start there. Good luck!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hi all I have a glastron carlson CVX16 with a johnson 135 V4. I've got a manual jack plate with oh I'd say a 7"ish set back (it was something we had kicking around the shop) I'm running a 23" stainless Raker D-cup prop. I was wondering if anyone has heard of plugging 2 of the pickups and drilling another hole to make sure I'm getting sufficient water? Good? Bad? What do you think? I've driven some pretty fast boats, action marine with a mod 225, checkmate with a mod 200, hydrastream with a mod 200 etc.. I'm in the process of building an evinrude 225 however that won't be done for a while to many projects going on not enough time. Anyways my question is what else can I do for more speed? I know you can take a merc prop and machine it down to fit a V4 because right now I could use more prop and I could get a big merc v6 prop for pretty cheap... I was also told V force reeds and jetting would also boost me a bit. I haven't put a GPS on it yet so I can't tell you for sure what I'm running for speed, all I know is I'm already bored with it and I only put approx 5 gals thru her.. Any other ideas or tips for more speed on a V4? Thanks from maine!

On your comment about a Merc V6 prop, the hub diameter for that engine is 4 3/4" where your V4 is probably more like 4 1/4" like the 125 4 cyl. Mercs and my 90 3 cyl. I got one to run on my engine but had to add a spacer between the thrust washer and the prop to get the hub back away from the LU casting. The OD of the hub matched right up with my LU OD.

Also, you might look at some of the Yammie high hp engines. They put a spike on front of the LU and a protrusion of that nature is known to improve the dynamics of the LU and increase speed. Then there are higher running props like a "Cleaver" that has a small diameter hub, exhaust over the blades and runs partially in the water. That would reduce LU drag and obviously add to your performance. But I'm not a race guy. Just things I have observed.

Mark