1968 9.5 throttle position

donnypack

Recruit
I am having trouble keeping the throttle in any certain position. When starting I put to start on the tiller handle but as soon as it starts it seems to vibrate down to slow automatically. When I throttle up to fast I have to continue to hold the the tiller handle in whatever position I have it in, as soon as I let go it goes back to slow. Does anybody know what is causing this? I would think the throttle handle should stay in the position I place it until I move it myself. The throttle linkage is hooked to the cam plate and I beleive that is hooked to the armiture plate, the whole thing seems to be shaking alot and I think may be whats whats causing the trottle to (vibrate) back to the slow position but am not to sure. I have learned a great deal on this forum just reading threads from other people and hoping someone might shed some light on this issue. Thanks!

donnypack

Recruit
Re: 1968 9.5 throttle position

I also thought that but after taking it out and inspecting it, it seems to be ok. I could be wrong but from all the images I can get of it online I can't see any difference. The only thing on my motor that is different is the handle. I have a metal handle on mine that has a peg on the end that I believe is to add an extension to the tiller handle. The friction block is just a plastic cap looking thing that is just putting pressure on the handle from the spring behind it. Perhaps the the plastic to metal just is not creating enough fristion to hold it in places? I have never seen another handle like this on this motor. Is this handle possibly an aftermarket part that requires an additional peice to hold it? It was already on the motor when I got it and I don't have the original handle if this is not. Would this have anything to do with my problem? Just looking for all possible causes here!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 9.5 throttle position

That's the way those old mtrs were, Look at it as safety device. If you fall out of the boat the mtr will return to idle. You may try to find a stronger spring that pushes on the cone in the handle