5.0 GL stater turns motor over while key is in ON position

DanTheMan23

Cadet
This past monday I launched my boat for the first time since may (in salt water previously) into our near by lake. I cruised through a wake zone from the launch ramp to my dock (five minute ride) and tied off. We loaded up the boat and as I went to turn it on there was nothing. All gauges worked, however, nothing else did. Long story short I bought a new stater and installed it. Turned the key, started up, and died after two minutes of running. The boat has not worked since then. When I turn the key, I get one of two things.. a full turn of the key you hear a single clunk. Otherwise, as soon as I turn the key into the ON position the stater goes crazy on its own trying to start the motor. The battery has been tested and has plenty of juice. The stater continues to spin even if the motor turns on for a sec (as if the solenoid gets stuck.) It also seems as if the motor is not getting fuel. I press the throttle down and no fuel squirts out of the top under the spark arrestor. The fuel pump doesn't make a single sound. I tested the fuel pump's leads and it shows life, however, when I stick my testers into the female end of the fuel pump plug I get nothing. Could this possibly be an ignition problem or a short?

The boat is a 98' 20ft Crownline with a volvo 5.0 GL(carbed) and volvo penta cobra drive. Battery has juice, gas tank full.

Cliff notes: Replaced stater. Key turned to ON position cranks motor constantly, even without me turning key over. Other instances I hear a single clunk attempting to turn the motor over. Motor seems to be starving for fuel. No fuel squirt with throttle pump. No noise from fuel pump.

DanTheMan23

Cadet
Re: 5.0 GL stater turns motor over while key is in ON position

Any guru's experienced this? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

May be the ignition switch. Disconnect the yellow/red wire from the ign switch, then turn the key to run and see if the engine cranks over. If not check the terminal on the switch that the wire was hooked to and see if there is power on it. If there is, replace the switch.

DanTheMan23

Cadet

Just to verify, the black wire is connected to the S terminal and the yellow and red wire are connected to the R terminal

DanTheMan23

Cadet

I also had the yellow and red wire on the S terminal and the black wire on the R terminal. While turning the key only the gauges would turn on. I looked around and see that this is the way the soleniod should be connected. Possible fuse problem?

Don S

Where is this S and R terminal you are talking about?

Black is ground ???????

You have me completely confused.

Don S

Here is how your starter should be wired. GL starter wiring.jpg
Make sure the cablels on the large terminals are NOT touching either of the smaller terminals.

Did you check your ignition switch?

DanTheMan23

Cadet

I have it connected exactly like that and when I go to turn the key i get nothing. When i try jumping the starter with a socket between the large terminals the starter just spins. No fly wheel contact.

Don S

I have it connected exactly like that and when I go to turn the key i get nothing.

The title of this thread, is 5.0 GL stater turns motor over while key is in ON position
I have been working on figuring out why it keeps trying to start when the key is on, now you saying nothing happens at all.
You now have it wired right and what happened to the black wire????

I'm not a mind reader, and as you can tell by my avatar the crystal ball is cracked.

DanTheMan23

Cadet

When i first created the thread, the wires were connected backwards compared to your picture. Also, i do not have a purple wire connected to the R terminal but a black wire.

DanTheMan23

Cadet

It ended up being between the neutrual saftey switch and the back circuit breaker. Cleaned all contacts. Thanks a lot Don. I followed you other thread about testing from the ignition switch out. Thanks!!