Ignition question for the experts - Evinrude 70hp 1990

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 19, 2011
Messages
304
Motor has no spark. Happened all of a sudden. Checked all three coils with a tester.
Starting RPM is probably 800 - very strong so it's well above the spark threshold.

I thought it might be the kill switch so I bypassed it. Nothing.

I'm leaning toward the trigger/timer base now. I checked the resistance against the CDI troubleshooting guide. Here are my results:

Leads SPEC RESULT
Charge Coil BR/BR-YL 450-550ohm 395
Power Coil OR/OR-BK 450-550ohm 400
Trigger (timer base) WH/PU 38-42 11
WH/BL 38-42 11
WH/GR 38-42 11

I also tested the recitifier and there was no resistance. I have an extra one that tested within spec.

So in the morning I'm putting on a new timer base in hope to get spark.

Does anyone else concur? I need to have this finished by noon tomorrow for party guests planning to take the boat out.
 

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 19, 2011
Messages
304
Re: Ignition question for the experts - Evinrude 70hp 1990

Ok...on fast start models the CDI manual only says they need to be the same (11)

I just ohm'd the powerpack...it's all out of whack!
I'm going to go that route.
 
Top