recoil starter troubles!! please help!!

coopnigs

Cadet
hey everyone new to the forum here looking for some help. 1989 evinrude 9.9 e10rces, i was cruising around with my friend and his son and stopped to get some weeds off prop. when i went to restart, the pull rope came out and did not retract. luckily motor started. i found out the the spring had not broken but the end that sits along the edge the pokes out and hooks to side of case had slipped into the case. so i took it apart and was able to pull the end of the spring out and hook it back on. so i bolted the starter back on and now when i fully tighten the bolt in center the rope is very hard to pull and gets easier as i loosen bolt. i took it off and put in on a million times it feels like and nothing ever changes. there is a notch on the bottom that i have been lining up with the hole behind the threaded one but still same result. is there something im missing? any help i would greatly appreciate! thanks

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: recoil starter troubles!! please help!!

There's a site called "LeeRoy's Ramblings that has all sorts of information about
these motors. Specifically, if you look about 1/3 of the way through this one:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson%209.9_15.htm

you'll see this topic: "Replacing the Manual Starter Rope or Spring". It'll tell you
any special tricks in this replacement.

coopnigs

Cadet
Re: recoil starter troubles!! please help!!

thanks for replies especially haffiman the washer had slid under spring coil so i didnt see it. found it and installed washer all is good! saved my weekend! thanks you