unlock steering

reflynn

Cadet
I just got my first boat it is a 1983 Sea Ray Bow-rider. currently I cannot turn steering wheel does it have to be in gear tilt up/down. I know it is probably stupid ? but I dont know nuttin about inboards. Please help.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: unlock steering

it should turn. always.
Do you have power steering?

did you ever see it steer?
has the outdrive recently been apart?

reflynn

Cadet

it should turn. always.
Do you have power steering?

did you ever see it steer?
has the outdrive recently been apart?

I just got the boat tuesday just got it running todaythe steering wheel doesnt even act like it wants to turn i suppose it is power steering the wheel just goes to bar behind dash wit hydro tube running out the side

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

actuator or torque amplifier box could be seized, helm cable could be seized, steering wheel shaft could be seized, worm gear in sterndrive could be seized, sterndrive can be assembled wrong (exhaust housing not shimmed correctly), trucourse shaft going out through the intermediate could be seized (there's a grease fitting there not too many people know about).

those are just the common and likely causes
need to start doing some visual inspection and basic troubleshooting. watch what flexes while someone steers. or tries to.

starting a boat that you haven't heard run should wait until you check all fluids including power steering reservoir. Maybe it's empty - can toast an expensive p/s pump pretty quick

reflynn

Cadet

actuator or torque amplifier box could be seized, helm cable could be seized, steering wheel shaft could be seized, worm gear in sterndrive could be seized, sterndrive can be assembled wrong (exhaust housing not shimmed correctly), trucourse shaft going out through the intermediate could be seized (there's a grease fitting there not too many people know about).

those are just the common and likely causes
need to start doing some visual inspection and basic troubleshooting. watch what flexes while someone steers. or tries to.

starting a boat that you haven't heard run should wait until you check all fluids including power steering reservoir. Maybe it's empty - can toast an expensive p/s pump pretty quick

All right here is what I've got, the steering cable from the helm is frozen up it will not budge. it is disconnected from the stern drive the engine still does not not turn manually. took out drive apart greased every thing all gears work individually but once mated back together turns very stiff. how do i get cable loose what would be my next action.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If it is the cable and not the helm you need to replace it at a minimum, if it were me I would replace the helm and cable. Steering is one of those safety things that can kill you or someone else very quickly at speed. You can get new parts right here.

reflynn

Cadet

Should the outdrive move with the cable disconnected? I am going to order new rack and pinion system but i need to know if the outdrive is locked up as well

duke3478

Seaman

Yes.

Like Howard said above, you should always be able to move the drive back and forth. Cables are inexpensive (relatively) so start there. Disconnect everything first to isolate what component is giving you the trouble.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

took out drive apart greased every thing all gears work individually but once mated back together turns very stiff.
if you loosen the 4 bolts on the top of the outdrive, does it free it up?
if so, the outdrive is probably a mix and match lower and upper that were not shimmed properly (and *maybe* correct gear ratio). There are shims under the top exhaust housing cover. Add more shims until there is 5 to 15 thou free float of the upper gearbox within the exhaust housing of the drive.
per "Shimming Upper Gearcase Vertical Movement" pg 7-1-20 in the manual

also grease the swivel bearing through the hole in the front of the drive - usually need a small grease gun tip like for u-joints

how do i get cable loose
replace the cable

reflynn

Cadet

Howard serndrive, I losened up the four bolts and it did improve have replaced steering cable in process of replacing water impeller where are the shims you are speaking of go is it item 48 on the print???????

reflynn

Cadet

Howard serndrive, I losened up the four bolts and it did improve have replaced steering cable in process of replacing water impeller where are the shims you are speaking of go is it item 48 on the print???????

if you loosen the 4 bolts on the top of the outdrive, does it free it up?
if so, the outdrive is probably a mix and match lower and upper that were not shimmed properly (and *maybe* correct gear ratio). There are shims under the top exhaust housing cover. Add more shims until there is 5 to 15 thou free float of the upper gearbox within the exhaust housing of the drive.
per "Shimming Upper Gearcase Vertical Movement" pg 7-1-20 in the manual

also grease the swivel bearing through the hole in the front of the drive - usually need a small grease gun tip like for u-joints

replace the cable