Left overs???

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
A question I've never been able to answer.

How is it that I can tear something down, repair what needs repaired, put it all back togehter and it works fine but,,, I find a left over bolt, nut or screw? I'm almost convinced there is a mystical creature that comes in at night and tosses one in with mine and then laughs his silly head off as I sit and try to figure out where it came from.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Left overs???

are you working on a Lotus or an MG? the gremlin throws screws out while the engine is running on an older british cars

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are like extra hangers in the closet and extra socks in the laundry, Bubba. The new hanger has been created from the missing sock.

The left over pieces have been created from the troubles you just fixed. That does happen most often on British cars of the 60s and 70s.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Snickers, years ago when I worked in a huge mining equp.repair shop I was known to toss in a extra gear in the tear down box of some of the mechanics. :D :p

Tyme2fish

Commander

Those are just mechanic parts. Pay no attention to them.

angus63

Captain

My lost sockets make up for the leftover parts and makes the universe balance right again

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have left over screws all the time after i repair copy machines, if anyone notices i just tell them they are cosmetic.

southkogs

Staff member

I've always explained to my wife that it's efficiency. ANYBODY can do it with all of the original screw/bolts/etc, it takes someone very efficient to do it with less...:facepalm:

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

When I was in automotive technology in college, my instructor in the automatic transmission class would walk up when you where about to dyno your trans for your grade, and hold out his hand and say, I think you forgot something. :mad:

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The answer is:

Weight savings.

Its obvious that part wasn't really needed, and with the extra weight removed, your power to weight ratio has just improved. It wasn't a mistake, it was an improvement.

Remember, every 100lbs is a tenth of a second in the quarter mile... ;)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Uhh... Never really had this problem...
Even with a power train cradle (engine and trans in a FWD car) sitting on the floor for an engine or trans swap, I've been lucky in finding homes for all the displaced bolts scattered on the floor, fenders, lift arms, and service cart when it's time for re-assembly. Guess a photographic memory helps...

How many coffee cans full of "extra bolts" do you have Bubba? :D

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Now there is the even stranger part. When I NEED one I go to the coffee can (only one) for it but, I never have the one I need. I am begining to wonder if the ones I find are the result of a tear in the space time continum and they slipped into our universe by mistake and really don't fit anything. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or... speaking of space... Maybe your place is just in the path of where space junk routinely falls, and it just so happens your work bench is in the right position to catch it all. That would probably explain why none of them will fit.

I'd say it's worth a call to NASA to see if they are interested in re-claiming their atmosphere tempered bolts. Might be some big money sitting in that coffee can! :D

P.S. Beware of the bolts with a hammer and sickle stamped on them. They are the equivalent of grade -8, and most likely made out of radioactive materials. ;)

Triton II

Commander

My experience with British machinery is that you don't have to tear anything down - the engine normally manages to do that all by itself... and they call it "character"! :)

TII

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i cleaned the carb on my 4 wheeler and after getting it all back together, on the bike and all the plastics tank and seat, then find a piece that was supposed to go inside the carb:facepalm:. so i figure before i put these tools away:rolleyes: