1973 Starcraft with evinrude 50hp ignition will not kill motor

DirtyMaxxxd

Recruit
Hey guys im trying to get out on the lake tonight but my ignition will not kill the motor, i just replaced the ignition, i must have the wires wrong i have six wires they are as follows: black with yellow tracer, black, white, 2 purple wires(one goes to choke, red w/ purple tracer, any help as to where they go would help. Also when i took the old ignition off there was a short black wire that was connected to the other black wire i believe what the other end was just hanging. Im lost. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Starcraft with evinrude 50hp ignition will not kill motor

Black/yellow is the kill wire. Goes to one of the "M" terminals. Black is ground wire. Goes to the other "M" terminal (may be marked "G"). The short black wire also goes to the terminal with the long black one, and is grounded to the control housing.

When you turn the key to "off", it electrically connects the black/yellow to the black wires, which kills the motor. If you have it wired correctly, try physically connecting the wires, which should kill it. If it doesn't, there is a wiring continuity problem somewhere---or the power pack is bad. Warning, do not ever connect the black/yellow to any "hot" 12V wire. That can blow the power pack.

EDIT: There is 300 volts on the black/yellow wire when running. Touching it can get your attention.