Bigtwin generator question

jake22si

Cadet
Just wondering if a generator off a 58 50hp starflite will work on a 69 40hp big twin? I have the whole setup on the starflite. If not it looks like maybe only 68-72 will fit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bigtwin generator question

The generator motor itself will work. But the pulley is different. And you will need a 40hp bracket to mount it to the powerhead.

jake22si

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Do these generators actually work? Is it worth the effort to hook up all the parts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, they do work....A lot better than people would have you believe. They put out a solid 10 amps, voltage regulated. Compare to the average alternator equipped motor that only puts out 6 amps, unregulated. True, the DC generator does not work at idle, but the 6 amp alternators only supply a negligable output at idle too.

One thing about DC generators is they haven't been used for so many years that anybody that knows how they work is getting old (like me). Some day you young whippersnappers will have to learn or junk them. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the mood. Probably junk us too.

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

[
Some day you young whippersnappers will have to learn or junk them. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the mood. Probably junk us too.[/QUOTE]

>>>>FR , not so fast grumpy . i met a 95 yr old man whos' still rebuilding o/b motors . yup 95 and doesnt wear glasses , no cane and sharp as a tack . you shouldve saw the look on my face when he showed me his drivers liscence , ' 1917' . it may as well read #03,...............keep punchin ,...