LED Trailer Lights Not Working

kmk89

Seaman
I just rewired my trailer and I have a problem. I'm using new LED lights everywhere. I am standing in the back of my trailer looking towards my truck in my description below:

I test my lights the first time and when I turn on the left turn signal, the trailer lights on the back of the trailer and my truck lights blink like I have my four way flashers on. Everything else, right turn signal, brake lights, side lamps, works fine.

I unplug the 7way to 4 way adapter to my truck try it again, now the left turn signal on my truck is working correctly but the left light on the trailer is always on and much brighter than the right side. Again everything else works fine.

I disconnected all the ground wires on the left side and then manually held each one to the frame, one by one, to see if maybe I had a bad connection, still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: LED Trailer Lights Not Working

If you have a battery charger, disconnect the trailer harness from the truck. Connect the battery charger ground clip to the ground terminal or the trailer frame (good ground). Put a nail in the POSITIVE charger clip and touch the BROWN wire terminal. The running lights and side markers should light. If not, you have a light or wiring issue. Then touch the nail to the green and yellow wire terminals. The respective turn/brake light should light. Turn/brake lights are brighter than the running lights. If the trailer checks out then the truck is at fault. Test the same way on the truck but use a test light or voltmeter.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it was working right before the rewire your truck is probly ok. Sounds like you crossed some wires accidentally. Check all your connections on the trailer again. Follow Silvertip's troubleshooting method and you will find the problem.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a short between the running and turn signal on that side. Might not even be in the wiring but in the light itself.

kmk89

Seaman

I appreciate everyone responses.

I tried the battery charger method. Standing at the back of the trailer, looking at the truck here is what I see: When i touch the brown wire lead on the 4 way switch, everything lights up but the back left side still is much brighter than the back right side. When I touch the green wire lead on the 4 way switch, only the back right light is lit, just as it should. When i touch the yellow wire lead on the 4 way switch, everything lights up like when I touch the brown wire. Is there a way to narrow this problem down further?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you swapped the yellow and brown on the left side somewhere.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bright light on one side and dimmer on the other is a classic sign of improper wiring. Tail and marker lights are powered from the brown wire. The bright elements light with the brake light and turn signals. (yellow and green wires).

kmk89

Seaman

brown wire and yellow wire were wired wrong. works now. thanks