Jon Boat Electrical Help Needed

joebarnette

Recruit
Just Recently bought a 15 foot Pro Jon Lowe off of craigslist and now am trying to get it rigged up .... I have no clue what I am doing , How and what do i need to hook up a bow and stern lights, and a anchor light. What size of wire? I will be purchasing a fish finder soon but realize that i do not need a switch for that. I have a Deep cycle Battery Srm 24 for my trolling motor 50 Lb thrust. What size battery to you suggest to run these lights/fish finder ? Will my current battery work for the lights, and ill just get a bigger battery for tm..... I do not understand what all i need to hook the switch panel, circuit breaker , lights to battery.... Also what do you suggest on how to mount the panel to boat Thank you for your help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jon Boat Electrical Help Needed

1) Since you have no idea what you are up against, I suggest you visit a boat dealer and look at tiller steered boats that have an instrument and switch panel at the rear. Since your boat apparently has none of this stuff, it you will need to fabricate a housing to which you mount the switch panel.
2) You mentioned that this is a Jon boat and I would assume it has an engine. If that engine is electric start you will need a starting battery for it and the engine will keep it charged. That battery can also power the lights and fish finder.
3) You said you have a group 24 deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. That's on the small side for a 50# motor but it will work. It may not provide the run-time you desire. Don't buy a different battery (group size 27, 29, 31) until you determine if the one you have will work for you.
4) No! The engine cannot keep the starting and troller batteries charged. Most smaller outboards simply do not have large enough alternators (large meaning capacitdy).
5) Here is a diagram for wiring navigation lights using a six terminal (On-Off-On) switch.

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

Here is a diagam using a three terminal On-Off-On switch. It requires use of a diode available from Radio Shack.

Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

6) Here is a simplified diagram for wiring a fuse panel.

Basicwiring.jpg

7) This is just a tip: Don't over think this. Current flows from the POS terminal on the battery, to the fuse panel, through a fuse, to the switch, out the switch to the device it controls, out the device, back to the NEG terminal of the battery.

Here is a diagram for some lights. Doesn't matter if its lights or your fish finder or a live well pump.

LightingCircuit.jpg

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Jon Boat Electrical Help Needed

Here are some more wire diagrams. Only use the circuits you need.

Attachments

• 12v System.pdf
    55.2 KB · Views: 0