Sterling 1408 boat sand bags ???

wan2fly

Cadet
I have a 1408 sterling boat which I am puzzled by sand bags in the very back u shaped back seat.

My question is why is there sand bags on either side of the boat? Can I remove them as they are broken?

I have never seen sand bags enclosed under the seat of a boat

If anyone know about this or where I can find more information as to why there are installed under the riveted seat would be great

Thanks

wan2fly

Cadet
Sand bags in seat

Sand bags in seat

I have a 14' alluminium boat which have broken sand bags under back u seat by transom. It's on both side of seats. They have the pop rivets on enclosed seat!

Can I drill rivets out to remove sand bags? What are its purpose for the sand bags on the boat

I am puzzled on this one ! Hope some one can add insite.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Sand bags in seat

Someone added them for ballast to smooth out the ride and possibly change the handling....... if they are sand then remove them just make sure they are flotation inside the sandbags.

wan2fly

Cadet

Someone added them for ballast to smooth out the ride and possibly change the handling....... if they are sand then remove them just make sure they are flotation inside the sandbags.

Thanks bob for the reply.

Are these sand bags from the factory when built or someone added after the fact?

I looked a rivits and it seems they were not changed.

Do you happen to know the manufacture and their website/contact information.

I will fill seat chambers with foam.

Await you reply

Last edited: