Water Separating Fuel Filter Location - near fuel sender wiring (photo)

sprobst

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I will soon be installing a water separating fuel filter to my 1998 3.0L Mercruiser I/O. There isn't much room anywhere in the engine compartment.

I'd like to install it in this location (see photo) (temporarily tacked up) above the fuel tank. This location is easy to get to and the hoses line up nicely. However, is there any concern about mounting slightly above the fuel level sender wiring (see photo)? Is this okay to do?

If it's a concern, I could probably move the whole thing right a few inches but the hoses will have to bend a little more but I could probably make it work.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Separating Fuel Filter Location - near fuel sender wiring (photo)

Is there a filter element on the bottom of that housing? If so, is there enough room to remove it and get a pan under it to catch any spilled fuel when you change the element?
Being above the tank is not a problem, I normally install them on the transom with longer hoses to the filter and back to the pump.

tpenfield

Staff member

Usually the fuel filters are mounted on the engine, very close to the fuel pump. So, I would think you should look to get it as close to the fuel pump as possible and out of the fuel tank bay.

Others may chime in about fuel system regulations, etc. that may apply here as well.

sprobst

Seaman Apprentice

I have about 3 1/2 inches of clearance below the fuel filter element and above the tank to allow room for spinning off the element and a small pan (or zip lock bag) to catch spills when changing.

There's not many other places that aren't filled with other stuff. You know how that goes on a small boat (17.5)....everything seems to be packed into a small space. This location is about 5 feet hose travel to the fuel pump. I plan on replacing the hose, too (using A1-15 hose) with double clamps. Are there any other regulations that I should be thinking about? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have that much room over the tank, it shouldn't be a problem. Depth perception didn't help at all in your picture.
The only thing you don't want is to spill fuel in that gap between the tank and the hull, then have it go under the tank.
Don't forget, you know what the boat looks like and where things are, we only have that one closeup picture of a small area. I can't tell which way is forward or aft in that picture, and the filter housing looks like it's about an inch above the tank.