first time Carb Rebuild any Pointers

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive come to the conclusion that I will rebuild this carb on my 59 Johnson. No High speed rpm on motor. Any pointers when removing and cleaning carb.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: first time Carb Rebuild any Pointers

Take pics and notes for your first time. Take your time, ensure every orifice/passage is thoroughally clean. Blow out with compressed air after a soaking in carb cleaner and washing in hot water.

Have a read in the Top Secret File, there is a sticky on this.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks will up date when complete

nwcove

Admiral

depending on the history of the motor,you may also want to check for good spark, and replace the impeller why your doing the routine maintenance. jmo

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spark and compression is good. Would a new impeller Have anything to do with no High Speed RPMs?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No, but it is the most critical piece on your outboard. That is why it is highly reccomended you do it whenever you aquire a new to you motor, or every few years.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks i will make that my next project right after I get this carb Rebuild

Rick.

Captain

Great advice above. Have never done the hot water thing but it could not hurt. I would only add don't attempt to remove the choke or throttle plate. The screws are peened over at the factory so they can't fall out and get sucked into the motor. I tried on my first carb. kit and wrecked the carb. Lay out all your parts on a nice clean rag so you don't misplace anything. Best of luck. Rick.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks!! Looking for all the info I can get before attempting this. Just ordered the parts today for the rebuild.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice link I am sure there will be different something somewhere but it looks good, Thanks:D

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your carb has welch plugs inside covering your high speed jets be aware that the new ones are going to seem too small when you stick it in the recess. I was sure the marina sold me the wrong kit after I opened it. They even couldn't tell me what the problem was.

After I drilled out one of the welch plugs to clean out the chamber area for one side of the high speed jets on my 4 cylinder, it seemed like the new one was too small. I and they had no idea that plug has to be flattened out with a hammer and a punch, when in the recess, and in so doing makes a tight fit.

Also use lots of compressed air after dissassembly. And only replace stuff that has replacement parts in the kit.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the input "Welch Plug" whats that? I read something on one of the links supplied to me But I do Not have the carb off the Motor yet. Sounds like a hole pluged with something thats not to be removed?

kfa4303

Banned

Welch plugs are small, soft metal discs that start off convex and are then tapped flat into place in the carb body. They are designed to be removed and replace with each carb rebuild. Once removed, they allow you access to to many of the very small passages found in the carb that can often become clogged. Scroll down about half way in the previous link I posted to see how they are removed and replaced.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

found it How many of these in a normal carb.

lindy46

Captain

Just one to remove - on top of the carb. It covers the idle circuit.

nwcove

Admiral

typically on a 59, there is only one welch plug ( could depend on the model tho), its located on the top of the carb. be very carefull when drilling the small hole in it!!! JUST drill through it, and dont let the bit drop down!! ..or you could be looking for a replacement carb.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model fd13R Thanks for info

nwcove

Admiral

and just a tip.....i like to put a dab of grease on the drill bit, as it catches the cuttings and lowers the risk of a shaving becoming lodged in the carb.