1989 AQ311 Oil Pan Removal

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice
I need to pull the engine to replace the oil pan on a Volvo Penta AQ311 (now a duoprop). As the engine is half tucked under some molded wells I need to slide it forward. Are there any threads for this engine? or are the different models similar? Should I remove the out drive? Are there aleignment issues when I reinstall?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 1989 AQ311 Oil Pan Removal

not sure which drive you have, however I suspect its similar to my AQ271 based on the manual.

you will need to remove the drive (or at least the upper gear box). undo the 6 bolts sandwiching the drive plate, disconnect the engine, undo the front mount lag screws, and then slid it forward. however if your that far, I would pull the engine out just to make life easy and have the ability to clean the bilge too.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I have 4 inches to move the engine forward if I remove the seawater pump. I hope that is enough to angle the shaft out of the rear drive plate.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

After more investigating I have a rotten oil cooler. I added 3 qts of oil to bring the level to the low mark on the dipstick and had no leaks. I ran the engine and found weeping oil coming out of the cooler. The engine was running rough. I hope I didn't run it without oil the last time out. See pictures attached. The cooler is hard to get to and replacing it and the hoses will be difficult. This is not worth pulling the engine out to do the work?IMG_2233.jpgIMG_2236.jpgIMG_2238.jpgIMG_2241.jpgIMG_2258.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with that amount of corrosion, I would pull the engine, replace the rusted lines, oil cooler, etc, wire-brush the block, paint everything, then reinstall.