shift interrupter wont work!! help!!!

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, I have a 1997 crownline with a 5.7 thunderbolt in it. I cant figure out why the shift interrupter wont work. When i was out the weekend it started to get really hard to shift into neutral, so when I got home I checked the interrupter and it didnt work. I checked the switch, which is fine, all the wiring back to the harness that plugs into the distributor is fine and the black wire is grounded to the motor. When the motor was runnning I also bypassed the switch and still nothing. Im not sure what to check from here. Any thoughts??

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shift interrupter wont work!! help!!!

I checked the switch, which is fine,

How did you check the switch?

1997 crownline with a 5.7 thunderbolt in it.

Could you post your engine serial number? It may not be a 96, and does it have Thunderbolt IV or V ignition?

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked the continuity through the switch. I have slight ideas about car electrical, I am an electrictions, just not the best with all the car stuff :). and the boat is a 97. and its a thunderbolt V. thanks

Don S

Start the engine and activate the switch with your hand by first pushing the Y plate to activate it, if it doesn't work then, push the switch itself, and see if the engine dies . To many times things show ok with a continuity test, but fail with real time loads.

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I already did that, I even connected the grounded wire straight to the other with bypassing the switch still nothing. And like I said, when the switch is activated the pin on the harness that connects to that wire is grounded, there is continuity at the harness when i push the switch, but still nothing with i hook it all back up and start the motor, it wont do anything??

Don S

Forgot to add,that the Shift interrupt switch shorts the White/green wire from the distributor, to ground when activated.

Don S

Ahhh posting at the same time, how wonderful :facepalm:

Disconnect the white/green wire from the SI switch, and with the engine running, short the W/G wire to ground a clean ground on the engine (other than where it normally grounds) If the engine doesn't die, you have problem with the wiring to the distributor. Does your engine have a knock sensor or not?

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya thats the one that is showing its grounding out when I hit the switch, which is why im thinking its something in the distributor but im not sure how that works??

Don S

ya thats the one that is showing its grounding out when I hit the switch, which is why im thinking its something in the distributor but im not sure how that works??

Was that a reply to post 6 or 7 ?????

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay. So when the switch is actuated I have good ground all the way up to the white/green wire at the harness on the distributor. But still will not stall. I'm not sure where to go after this??

Don S

Disconnect the white green wire from the shift interrupt switch.

Start the engine. Touch the white green wire to a good clean ground (Use jumper wire if it won't reach one) the engine should die, does it?

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The engine doesnt die, and there is continuity between the ends of the wire, harness to the switch. So does this mean there is a problem in the distributor??

Don S

The engine doesnt die, and there is continuity between the ends of the wire, harness to the switch. So does this mean there is a problem in the distributor??

Wiring to the distributor, module, sensor in the distributor or something. Never seen one do that before. But you know it's not the shift interrupt switch causing the problem.

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nope that is fine. I went from clean ground to, even tried right from negative on the batt to the blue and white wire. I keep seeing something in some of the forums about it having something to do with the tach, but i cant figure out what they mean??

Don S

even tried right from negative on the batt to the blue and white wire.

Blue white ??????? White with green stripe is what you should be grounding.

Post a picture of your wiring, something isn't right. Your tach has nothing to do with it.

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol sorry it is white green. I am 100 percent positive everything it good up to the harness. Ive tested everything up to there. Is there a wire that can fall off inside the distributor, or is it all solid start were the harness goes??

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

solid state is what i meant

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

lol sorry it is white green. I am 100 percent positive everything it good up to the harness. Ive tested everything up to there. Is there a wire that can fall off inside the distributor, or is it all solid start were the harness goes??

If anything in the distrubtor that could cause this fails the boat won't run.

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i'm betting either

1. faulty continuity of white/green white - between shift switch and distributor

diagnose by using jumper wire to switch or ground manually
note: be careful handling this wire with engine running

2. faulty / corroded connections at switch and or distributor

i didnt see whether the distributor has the nut connections or the bullet style

highly unlikely the sensor in the distributor faulty

good luck and safe boating

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's what I'm not understanding. Everything is good up to the harness at the distributor. I tried a jumper from ground just to make sure also. The connections also look clean where the harness plugs in. Is there nothing that can come loose in the distributor to make it not work