My Next Boat Will Be...

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Smaller, maybe an aluminum one that I was recommended by the good folks here. I will probably also look for an outboard engine too.

We like our big heavy Wellcraft, but I will go smaller and sportier next time, or maybe go for a pontoon with a stout outboard.

Some advice for the newbies here...

Listen to the recommendations.

For the experienced guys, what would you choose as your next boat?

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: My Next Boat Will Be...

Good stuff...

I went from a Cobalt 24' I/O to a 15' tri-hull with outboard... Not splashed it yet but know it will be easier to handle alone... I did like the ride and performance with Volvo 454 and duo-props.

Next boat I'm thinking 20' CC with at least 200 hp outboard. :D Aluminum or possibly glass

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Smaller, maybe an aluminum one that I was recommended by the good folks here. I will probably also look for an outboard engine too.

We like our big heavy Wellcraft, but I will go smaller and sportier next time, or maybe go for a pontoon with a stout outboard.

Some advice for the newbies here...

Listen to the recommendations.

For the experienced guys, what would you choose as your next boat?

I'm happy with the various boats I now have, after almost 50 years of trial, and both error and success, and would not change much if i replaced any of them. But over the years my family (and now I) haev changed styles not due to the boat but due to our changing interests and circumstances.

True, one should heed the advice of the experienced, but first you have to discern if the advice comes from someone who knows your waters and your intended use. Everything about boats is situational. One solution is to get advice from your local boat/fish forums and better, local experienced boaters.

You are asking for typical regrets.

I think the mistake that many new boaters make is to fall for the razzle dazzle, and as it fades, they get less enchanted with their choice. Electronics such as stereo's start failing. The shiny surfaces and plush carpet require constant care and nonetheless wear out or look tired. All that built-in appointments and padding take up room. Size becomes more of a burden than a benefit.
So for the next boat, the want something more maintenance-free, and a focus on function rather than form. Keep it simple.

I doubt anyone has regretted paying more for reliability, but lots regret not paying for it. They stretch the budget around length at the expense of reliability. Part of this is the unrealistic expectation of taking hordes of people out every time--and similarly, the unrealistic expectation that those cute enthusiastic children will want anything to do with you when they are teens. (Around here, the strategy is to buy the boat for the teens; that's who uses them the most).

bear_69cuda

Commander

I think the mistake that many new boaters make is to fall for the razzle dazzle, and as it fades, they get less enchanted with their choice. Electronics such as stereo's start failing. The shiny surfaces and plush carpet require constant care and nonetheless wear out or look tired. All that built-in appointments and padding take up room. Size becomes more of a burden than a benefit.
So for the next boat, the want something more maintenance-free, and a focus on function rather than form. Keep it simple.

I doubt anyone has regretted paying more for reliability, but lots regret not paying for it. They stretch the budget around length at the expense of reliability. Part of this is the unrealistic expectation of taking hordes of people out every time--and similarly, the unrealistic expectation that those cute enthusiastic children will want anything to do with you when they are teens. (Around here, the strategy is to buy the boat for the teens; that's who uses them the most).

Well said brutha!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My next boat will be in addition to, rather then a replacement of, my current boat, and will probably be an old Starcraft Mariner or newer Triumph center console.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Currently in a 15' fiberglass runabout that does great in the bays and closeby kelp beds. But it does not take chop well and I really have to watch the weather.

Torn between going to a slightly larger 17 or 18' CC for the same purposes plus a little more range (say to the deeper banks and the closeby islands), or a tinny that will do the same jobs but use less gas and be less maintenance...and won't need as much tow vehicle.

I have come to the conclusion that neither my kids nor my wife will ever be as big on boating and fishing as I am--nor will my wife ever budget the money for something she'd truly enjoy or for a long-range fishing machine I'd enjoy--so I no longer focus on what will make them comfortable, only on my own needs in a boat and something I can handle solo.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would trade the I/O for a Tige RZ2 or similar. I'd love to startskiing the course, and it'd be about impossible with any I/O, but I hate direct drive interior layouts. However, the jet ski and the 30ft cruiser would still stay. There is no single boat that could manage all of the different activities I like to do on the water. I'd like to add a bass boat or CC as well. My needs require nothing short of a 3-slip dock and a small armada, lol.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will be selling my 18 foot bowrider and buying something around 21 feet and with a head. Possibly a cuddy or walkaround. We are weekend cruisers and need something bay worthy.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My next boat will be bigger, but still not at big as I want. I'll probably step to a 26 - 28 foot bowrider as my next boat, then onto the 35+ cruiser a while after that. Right now my 22 foot bowrider is serving it's purpose nicely, but as I use it more and more the urge to step up gets greater.

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An Inboard.......20 foot Bow Rider, until the party barge bug overrides the waterskiing bug, hope that's not for a while, LOL

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought mine last August. 20ft. cc with 115Yamaha 4stroke. Great on gas, and a smooth ride.

Attachments

• moto_0167.jpg
    moto_0167.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0170.jpg
    moto_0170.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The very reason I now own a toon. the maintance just dosnt get much lower. :D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I bought mine last August. 20ft. cc with 115Yamaha 4stroke. Great on gas, and a smooth ride.

Hey, that Xpress is the cats. I'm mighty jealous. They make good boats. Did you buy 'er new?

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will be bought after much more research. I found my current boat was not made as well as my last boat. It requires A LOT more maintenance. With some more research I could have avoided some of the work I have done.

Don't get me wrong I like my boat but I would rather be using it instead of working on it.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The very reason I now own a toon. the maintance just dosnt get much lower. :D

That's one reason why I like those. Also, I like the ability to go under bridges here and in places that bass boats can go, whereas I cannot.

I spotted a few toons with 115 Yamaha 4 strokes in the dry storage here that I really liked.

ziggy

Admiral

my next boat will be.....
less maintenance. i been thinking along the lines of a canoe or maybe a sailboat (probably not as maint. free as a canoe though).
being a little on the poor side, either of the above would be a relief on the pocket book. especially the canoe.
+
they're green. lately i been feeling a bit ashamed that i go out and burn through a bunch of fuel just for the heck of it.

i also don't know of a boat that could replace my Nineteen as there is nothing really like it available in this day and age.

Cincyrunner

Seaman

I'll probably go up to a 23-24 ft bowrider from my current 19 ft BR. I don't think I'd go much bigger than that, unless I came into a lot of money :).