Boat value (for real)

RMasters

Seaman
Folks,

Wife wants a boat with more space. We are testdriving one this Saturday.

So, as hard as it is, I guess our Baja 16SS with 6-cylinder Mercury will eventually have to go (hard to sneak out with the Baja).

Am wondering how much you think I should ask for. I do not want to negotiate or get tons of people "looking at it" or "tire kicking".

I would accept less as long as I can have a transaction done quickly and smooth. Boat runs great.

Can you throw me some numbers? I am aware it will be hundreds of dollars, not close to a grand. I would probably separate, but knowing that the boat by itself is sitting somewhere, rather not. Cause then I could have it painted, etc. etc. etc, you know the deal. Sometimes you just can't let go.

Thank you all!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat value (for real)

Look at your local craigslist and other ad sites... Regional variation can be HUGE for boat values. Also, you didn't mention year, condition, and no pics, so the most accurate statement you can get here is somewhere between $1000 and $35,000.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

more than a dollar, less than a million

seriously, year? condition? location? hours? water kept or trailered? kept in garage or outside?

Just saying Baja 16ss has little or no meaning without the context of everything else.

then again, its all a crap shoot. its worth what the customer will be willing to spend. do a search for similar boats in your area. search craigslist, local boat ads and sites like Iboats and boat trader. that will get you close. your going to get about 10 tire kickers for every serious inquiry.

RMasters

Seaman

Well, I did not give details due to the forum guidelines. It appears you are not supposed to give details for transactions, but I am only asking for a guideline of how much I could get for it. So let's give it a shot.

There are not comparable values as it is a '83 and they are rare to find. 16 ft long. Weights a little over 500 pounds. Dark blue (the sparkle paint), clear-coat is faded, still shines, but gets dull quickly. Transom and floor are solid. Hours? Unknown. Trailered, stored at local Marina. Interior redone 2 years ago. Carpet is worn in some spots (not floor but side rails). Missing the tripod in the rear for pulling, but has original hooks in rear. Has 3 6-gallon tanks.

Engine is a 1964 Mercury 850. Has good compression and runs great. Always maintained at same local Marina, every spring and fall. New spark plugs every year, new waterpump, carbs rebuilt. With power tilt/trim system and all working. Just got resealed due to a small air leak. Bottom gasket is getting weak (starts leaking a little bit of water), Marina says it is good for at least this year and probably next year, yet suggested to have it replaced in fall, costs around $200.

Don't know the prop but its one for pulling (previous owner who had it for over 20 years pulled skies and tubes). Gets up to speed in no time, I mean, no time, yet not as fast as with a "regular" prop, tops out at around 35 to 40 mph, drove in one with similar hp and 4 cylinder, did 50 mph right away. But then, speed was not an issue for us.

Sits on TeeNee trailer, newer tires, hubs, grease buddies.

Hope that helps. Will ad some pictures later.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Lets see - you gots a 29 year old 16'er with faded paint, worn carpet with a 48 year old engine. Ahhh - - - - -

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

sounds like an $800 boat which mirrors NADA.

BTW, the '83 16ss weights 845#

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your boat will be worth what someone will pay for it - which will likely not be much given the nature of the machine and the condition you're speaking of. You might get lucky and find the one guy who's looking for that particular boat for god knows what reason; cause he had one as a kid or whatever. But, no one here is going to be able to give you any sort of educated guess on such a low demand, old, engine and hull combo.

So here's what you do; take the minimum dollar amount you will accept for it, and add $200. List it at that price, and say "or best offer". When the lowballs come (and they will come, and there will be no escaping it when selling an item like this), you counter or politely decline and move on. The sooner you put it up for sale, the better; no one will want that thing at any reasonable price come September.

RMasters

Seaman

Lets see - you gots a 29 year old 16'er with faded paint, worn carpet with a 48 year old engine. Ahhh - - - - -

Yep, makes me laugh about the ones with "new" boats. My buddy just had to replace a fuel injector. $800, with extended warranty, he still had to pay a $300 deductible. Compared to our engine: carburetor rebuild less than $100. A complete paint job in your color of choice is around $400 here. And the small amount of carpet (on the sides, not the floor), 2 hours in the backyard.

And the weight is of the capacity plate, nothing about 845 pounds.

Anyhows, already have someone coming, the $800 was a higher amount I would have considered, so there is lots of room.

Thanks all!