fuel pump needs rebuild;new sierra kit missing critical parts...what do i do?

derek23

Cadet
1978 johnson 175.My lower pump is leaking and upon disassembly found the gaskets were all brown and gummed from old fuel and more importantly there are TWO small tin tabs,one on each side of the main body that appear to keep fuel from draining back into the line held in by a small screw,I don't know the technical name,but one of them was completely corroded and broken in half as you can see in the picture.My engine took forever to start even after warm up because of this I believe. Simple enough to rebuild so I ordered the correct and only kit from sierra which does not have the metal tabs!the sierra kit also came with two extra parts that I have no idea if they are for my pump or not,I noted them in picture as a green gasket and a small nylon pin/button???View attachment 156377View attachment 156378On diagrams from johnson the fuel pump assemblies are not broken down to show these metal tabs.So I'm lost,they appear to be tin,if I can't buy these I'm thinking of tracing the good one onto a soda can and making one. What should I do?thanks everyone!IMG_0079.jpgIMG_0080.jpg

derek23

Cadet
Re: fuel pump needs rebuild;new sierra kit missing critical parts...what do i do?

okay,I just found where the small nylon pin/button goes,i hadnt removed the old gasket yet and it was there,and the green gasket is stuck on engine still so i answered that,but the missing tin tabs is still an issue,i would expect them to come in the rebuild kit.I did trace the good metal tab onto a piece of tin aluminum can twice.predrilled the screw hole then cut it out easily with scissors.it is more flexible than the original so i joined two pieces together with aviation sealant and mated them between two pieces of flat wood to dry in my vise.that i am confident will replace the one broken tin tab,it looks and flexes identical.I will report on my field test in a few days.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel pump needs rebuild;new sierra kit missing critical parts...what do i do?

Look and see if you can buy them from the crowleymarine or dougrussell website. If you can get them there, a dealer can probably get them as well.