1997 9.9 YAMAHA Fourstroke, pull start-- NO SPARK ???

budsbud662

Seaman
I recently Bought a boat that included this kicker, i was told it ran fine when he last used it 4 years ago. i brought it home, and it started on the first pull. so i popped the cowl off and started re finishing it. i had a blanket over the engine to protect if from the elements while i did body work on the cowl. I put the nice new looking cowl on it after 2 days and now i have NO spark. I did a visual inspection and seen no spark. I still changed plugs, dropped a pop of ether in ( just in case it was sparking and i couldnt see it) Not a kick or anything.

If the coil went bad. doesnt it ussually drop 1 cylinder at a time? or can it drop 2?

What else could i try? thanks..

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1997 9.9 YAMAHA Fourstroke, pull start-- NO SPARK ???

Did you make sure the kill switch lanyard was in place?

budsbud662

Seaman

Did you make sure the kill switch lanyard was in place?

YES! Its a good responce.

I am looking for my next step. I plan to check for wire corrosion, then order a new coil pack. Any other idea's before i start dumping money in the drain?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

A service manual and the proper test equipment would lead you to testing the charge and pulser coil under flywheel to make sure they generate the proper voltage (inputs to CDI)and then the outputs of the CDI to coils.
Then the coils themselves if all that is good.

Might see if disconnecting kill wire from CDI will allow spark, might have a bad kill switch