Water jet temperature

Excalibur5

Cadet
Can anyone tell me what temperature the water jet should be that comes out of the engine on a mariner? Should it be cold warm or hot? The jet that comes from our engine is quite hot when we flush it with a hose using engine muffs. Is this normal or is engine running too hot and needs looking at? Many thanks for any replies

dish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water jet temperature

Is the tell tail that warm when running in the water??? Might just be water pressure from your tap!!! Is there a good stream coming out when on muffs or dribbling???

Excalibur5

Cadet

there is a good stream of water coming from telltale but it is quite hot when using muffs and a hose. the jet appears after about twenty seconds of starting engine

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Older Mariners do not have thermostats. On those motors, the telltale should be cold. Newer Mariners have thermostats, and the telltale could be 140*F. What motor do you have? When was the last time the waterpump was rebuilt?

Excalibur5

Cadet

Older Mariners do not have thermostats. On those motors, the telltale should be cold. Newer Mariners have thermostats, and the telltale could be 140*F. What motor do you have? When was the last time the waterpump was rebuilt?

hi thanks for reply chris. Its a 50hp 2stroke 4 cylinder believed to be a mid to late eighties model the serial number is 6542288 i think

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, Sounds like a no thermostat model. I therefore recommend you replace the impeller, wearplate and two gaskets.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 1984 90 horse merc inline 6. Also had no thermostats and running on the muffs the water would get warm to the touch but not hot.

Excalibur5

Cadet

OK, Sounds like a no thermostat model. I therefore recommend you replace the impeller, wearplate and two gaskets.

Thanks for replies so are we saying the water jet from telltale on this engine should be either cool or warm and not hot?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The telltale on that motor will normally be very cool, and certainly not hot. If you have hot, you have issue....